Is 50cc a big difference?

I'm getting 450cc Is the 50cc a big difference?

Is 50cc a big difference?

In the scheme of things, 50cc is a relatively small difference. I tend to tell patients that they can tell a difference in cup size with a change of at least 100cc.

When considering different sizes

ask your surgeon for the dimensions of the implants he/she would use in both sizes.  In most situations, the differences will be a few millimeters in width and projection... that really isn't much but only you can decide if that difference will make your outcome closer to your goals.  And choose what you want...

Curtis Wong, MD

Big difference?

Thank you for your question.  Big difference?  No.  Can it make a difference?  Maybe.  In short, it really depends on your anatomy and goals.  You should discuss this with your operating surgeon and ask to "try on" the implants to see if you notice a difference.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

The right implant for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Is 50cc a big difference?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Much will depend on your specific anatomic features; for example, a 50 cc difference may be noticeable on a very petite patient but not on a patient with a larger frame. Therefore, the advice you receive online will not be specific enough to be very helpful.
Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Implant size

Choosing a size is all about a healthy conversation between you and your plastic surgeon. Anatomy and the size of your breast "footprint" or dimensions of your chest can help pick an implant. The thickness of the overlying breast is also an important factor in implant selection. Different implants have different projection and this varies by manufacturer so 50 cc in one implant may change the projection of a different implant. Picking the right implant for you depends on a number of factors and talking about this in consultation is the best way to go. Good luck, MMT

Is 50 cc a big difference

50 mL is about an ounce and a half of volume, which when placed around the surface area of a breast implant, adds very little to the overall volume that can be seen through the breast tissue. At 75 to 100 mL, this difference usually  is more obvious to the untrained eye. It's more important that the implants base diameter fits inside the native base diameter of the breasts in order for the result to be both pleasing and long-lasting. Discuss these options with your plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Is 50cc a big difference

50 cc is a relatively small difference at the volume implant you are considering.  The implants come in a wide range of sizes.  My patients find it helpful to use sizers before surgery to get an idea of how they will look with different sized implants.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Implant increase in size of 50cc

For the average Breast Augmentation patient who is not a large woman, I tell them 50cc you'll see a small difference and  100cc will be a big difference.  Somewhere in between can also be chosen.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

Thanks for your question. It sounds like you may be considering an implant size above or below 450? At just under a 10% volume difference, it is not major, but in terms of breast implants you may notice that. It depends on how big you are starting out. If you are fairly petite, this difference will be greater than if you have a wider chest. I would go back to your surgeon's office to confirm sizing one more time. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon