Is 550cc big enough?

Is 550cc silicone implants big? I had 335cc removed 4 years ago and am about to have the 550cc put in but I am worried it won't be big enough. I'm 5'5 weight 11 stone. Fairly broad. I currently have empty D cup. What size will i be with this size implants? They are Allergan round silicone. Going over muscle.

Cup size estimate

Thank you for your question. My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers with a form fitting T-Shirt in the office in order to get an idea of how they will look. As long as your Plastic Surgeon has approved the measurements, choose the ones that feel right to you and try not to worry about what cup size they will be as there is no standard for cup sizing.

All the best

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

550 cc is quite large

Only a direct evaluation can guide you correctly. In general 550 cc is considered a large implant for most people.

Vasdev Rai, MD

550cc Breast Implants

Having had 335ccs in the past and being of your height and weight, it may be that 550ccs this time around will not be enough. Using volumetric sizers would be really helpful but you are wise to be concerned that 550cc may not be enough.

Choosing

Choosing a size is all about a healthy conversation between you and your plastic surgeon, newboobies83. Anatomy and the size of your breast "footprint" or dimensions of your chest can help pick an implant. The thickness of the overlying breast is also an important factor in implant selection. So even a little difference can mean a big change. Different implants have different projection and this varies by manufacturer. Picking the right implant for you depends on a number of factors and talking about this in consultation is the best way to go and sometimes requires changing the shape of the breast with a mastopexy too especially if you have had implants before. Good luck, MMT

Is 550cc big enough for revisionary breast surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Keep in mind as you are thinking about your goals that sometimes adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsule adjustments) may be necessary to achieve the outcome you are looking for.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "up a cup size” or "D or DD cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Size

No one over the Internet can tell you if 550 cc's is big enough. However, it is a large implant, and for many, is quite big. Your surgeon will be the best one to discuss specific sizes since he/she has seen and measured you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

550 is big.

Greetings. A 550 cc implant is big, but you feel it might not be big enough for your goals? Please share about your goals for a better answer? Are you trying for a bigger cup than a D? Perhaps you can discuss this with your PS in greater detail, but 550 is considered very big. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Is it big enough

550 cc may or may not be big enough.  It's tough to say without examining you or seeing how much breast tissue you have.  If you are 5'11' then I'd imagine you could accommodate a larger implant.  It shouldn't be too wide and you'd likely benefit from some moderate or high profile projection.  If you don't think 550 cc is large enough then ask your surgeon if you could potentially go larger.  Best wishes.

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

What size will I be

Without seeing you it's very difficult to predict a bra size. Even with all the information at hand and measurements, bras are so variable in their size and construction that one cannot predict with any degree of certainty what the end size will be. On average, a 500 mL implant will increase the breast by 2 cup sizes. So, if you start with a and add a 500 mL breast implant you should end up with a C cup. Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS