I have a problem with breathing thru my nose but when I raise my nose tip up with my finger I feel like I can breathe better.

What can be wrong With my nose? What can be done to fix it?

Difficulty with breathing through the nose?

what you were describing is probable narrowing in the nasal valve area. But also you may have septal deviation or hypertrophied inferior turbinates. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can address both your functional as well as any cosmetic concerns. 

Hello jen0808 - Thanks for your question. Your question is a common one. More than likely, when you put upwards pressure onto your nasal tip, you are opening up your internal nasal valve allowing more air into the front of your nose. This makes you feel like you are breathing better. Placement of spreader grafts will help improve this on a more permanent basis. I recommend that you consult with a rhinoplasty specialist to have a proper exam to confirm this. They may find other causes for your airway obstruction as well. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip and breathing

Thank you for sharing. Nasal shape, contour and size of difference parts may make a difference in breathing. The only way to have an appropriate full assessment is to be seen in person. No other way is adequate for a rhinoplasty evaluation. See a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes!

Breathing

Hello and thank you for your question.  There are many possible causes of airway obstruction and many great treatment options depending on the source of airway restriction. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Nasal obstructive symptoms

A thorough in-person internal examination of the nose required to make a determination about what may be causing nasal obstruction. There are many issues inside the nose that can cause nasal obstruction such as a deviated nasal septum, turbinate hypertrophy, valve collapse, allergies, and chronic sinusitis. Each one of these is treated differently with either medications and/or surgery. It is also important to try and fail medical management first before undergoing surgical management for airflow. For more information, please see link and video below

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should have an examination of your nose and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Photos needed

If you have a very long nose with a droopy tip then raising the tip increases the efficiency of air entry and helps breathing - photos would help give more advice