Bulbous undefined nose? (Photo)

Sigh~~~ my new nose is 5months old. The tip was built w septal and ear cartilage, the bridge w silicon. Over the months it remained undefined, bulbous. Is it due to formation of scar tissue? Or due to thick skin? Am i already close to the final result? And that i won't be seeing significant change? Should i be considering a revision ?

Thank you very much for this interesting question.
Swelling time after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity (Ex.: Rhinoplasty with nasal controled nasal bones fracture (osteotomy) will have greater inflammation than one in which only the nasal tip treatment).
But, generally the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-    

Thick skin

With thick skin you are only 30 % of the way into recovery as it takes at least 18 months to slim down more - however your thick skin may limit how refined it becomes 

One year

Swelling from rhinoplasty can take one year or longer to settle down. Best of luck with your results.

Tip swelling

Hello and thank you for your question.   At five months post-op you are still swollen in the tip.  See your primary surgeon and share your concerns.  Hang in there--I hope it gets better.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Bulbous Tip

Most likely you will see some improvement with time, how much is hard to predict. You need to wait until a year and sometimes longer. Judicious injection of Kenolog by your surgeon if he has enough experience with this injection may help.Proper taping, even at this stage, may produce small amount of improvement.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Undefined Nose

Five months post -op is still a little early to determine your results. I would wait at least 8 to 12 months. You may need some kenelog injection. After a year has passed and you still have a bulbous tip, then you may want to consider a revision.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. You are still healing, and you may experience additional changes to your nose, especially because you may be swelling. Please post full frontal profile and side profile pictures of your face in the before and after style so that we can evaluate your progress thus far. The most important thing is for you to continue to follow the recovery instructions from and remain in contact with your board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Those are all great questions.  A lot of the swelling should have subsided by now but you should still see more swelling go down over the next 3-6 months.  Any of the issues you have listed can be a source of the fullness of the nasal tip.  The person who will know the best will be your plastic surgeon since he/she was there during surgery.  I would give it some more time.  Once you reach a time closer to one year after your rhinoplasty you can start deciding whether you would desire a rhinoplasty revision.

Good luck with the rest of your rhinoplasty healing.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD