Does the chest return to normal after rib grafting?

I had a rhinoplasty with rib grafting this week. Feeling scared about not being about to move normally without pain. Will me chest return 100% to normal? Will I have any limitations in movement?

Rhinoplasty and rib grafting, returning to normal

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of your nose for breathing or appearance. Rib grafting is a procedure to harvest cartilage from your chest to create strength and shape in the nose.

The rib cartilage can be harvested many different ways. The less invasive technique will produce less discomfort in your recovery. I like to keep my incision around half to 3/4 of an inch to avoid cutting through the muscle and tissue around the rib. I like to select a rib that has support above and below it, to avoid weakening the chest wall. While the taking it easy for the nose (6 weeks), the rib heals and the discomfort goes away. Patient can resume heavy lifting and hard exercise after that. I evaluate my patients at 2 or 3 times to make sure they are ready to start normal activities. Safety comes first. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib graft and activity

In my experience over 15 ears and hundreds of rib graft rhinoplasties the patients all return to normal activity by 6 weeks - the occasional patient experiences some minor clicking long term 

Yes, your chest will return to normal after rib grafting.  Once healed, there will be no limitation in movement.  Allow time to heal.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD