Gynecomastia at 18? (Photo)

Ive had this lump under my left breast for about a couple of years ago, it's firm and slightly tender, the left side I don't feel any tissue under the nipple. Would this require surgery at this point?

Situations like this which are one side only in my experience will rarely disappear on their own but there's no harm in waiting. If surgery is performed it can be done through a tiny incision in the armpit removing the necessary tissue which is usually both fat and gland. Probably worth  a discussion with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area at this point. Good luck with it.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Possible Gynecomastia at Age 18

Gynecomastia is a common occurrence in boys going through puberty.There are different types of #gynecomastia.  Categorized as #physiologic gynecomastia, up to 2/3 of boys going through puberty develop some form of gynecomastia. This form of gynecomastia is due to the surges in testosterone and estrogen which often lead to an imbalance of the testosterone:estrogen ratio. Puberty is a difficult time for most boys, with many changes occurring not just physically but also emotionally. Developing gynecomastia during this age can affect the self-image and confidence of a teenager. The peak incidence occurs around 14 years of age.

In up to 75% of boys who develop pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 2 years. In 90% of boys with pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 3 years. So deciding who needs surgery is very important in this age group because a majority of these boys will not need any intervention.

#Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Meanwhile, #Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Unilateral gynecomastia

From your photographs, it certainly seems you have gynecomastia. On the left. You can be fairly confident that this won't resolve on its own. Luckily, fairly straightforward surgery would be able to restore normal anatomy. You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the different ways this could be done.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Your chest

Thanks for the photos.  Your best bet is to get evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Most lumps on the chest in men are harmless and don't require surgery except for cosmetic reasons.  However, it's better to be safe. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Gynecomastia at 18?

Hi there,
Hi there,
Your photos seem to suggest that you have a mild gynaecomastia (grade 1) more on the left side
the most important indication for surgery though, is how you feel about the condition
the best method for correction is liposuction and gland excision

Gynecomastia Treatment

Hi Altaboy97,
Thanks for the post and photo. Based on the photo it appears that you have gynecomastia on the left side. If you are not on any medications or supplements that may have caused this, then it is likely a reult of changes during puberty.  You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. Based on whether there is excess breast and/or fatty tissue will determine the proper procedure in your case.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

I appreciate your question.
It seems like you have gynecomastia. If its not due to hormones, medications or tumor, then you could consider having it removed through a small incision in your areola.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

It appears the you do have unilateral gynecomastia which is most likely a result of puberty.  I recommend to see a Board Certified PS in consultation to have this corrected since it will most likely not go away by itself at this point.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

From the photos is appears that you have some enlargement of tissue under the breast. A combination of liposuction and excision will usually restore the flat more male appearance of the breast. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

You appear to have unilateral gynecomastia which is not uncommon. The time course of your history would indicate this will not resolve spontaneously.Also because of the time course I would not be concerned with malignancy .I would recommend surgical excision of the excess glandular tissue.