Can I use supplements like fat burners and proteins 3 months after the surgery for severe gynecomastia? (Photo)

I had severe gynecomastia for last 10 years with a lot of loose skin. So I dec to go for gynecomastia surgery(gland) I'm 3 months post op now but still have a lot of loose skin.also I'm still overweight. Can I take gymming supplements like proteins and fat burners.? Also will I require a second surgery ?

The Lasting Effects of Gynecomastia Surgery

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery. However, it can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery in the future.

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. 
Therefore, weight gain, steroid use,recreational drug use and have hormonal conditions can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of previous surgical removal and treatments.

Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. 

Supplements for surgery

Omega 3 fats (e.g. fish oil, EFA, flax seed oil, Krill oil), NSAID's (aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn), Vitamin E, "blood thinners" and a whole host of supplements and medicines can cause excessive bleeding and bruising and therefore increase your recovery time. When in doubt stay away from supplements unless they are designed for surgery. I offer to my patients specific supplements that speed healing, reduce swelling, bruising and in some cases minimize discomfort (for example Bromelain, Arnica Montanum, and Vitamins designed for surgery.

Bottom Line: Certain vitamins and minerals can speed healing others can cause problems and slow the process down or cause complications. If healing is going well I usually let my patients go back to their usual regimen of supplements

Check with your doctor as only your doctor would have access to your medical history and what would be best for you. We typically allow our patients to continue their supplements 10 days post op if their recovery is going well.

Recovery after Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi mudit215,
Thanks for the post and photo. Based on your photo you have excess skin which will not respond to fat burners and protein supplements. You will require a second surgery to address the loose skin and possibly the areola size and position.  I recommend you wait until you are 6 months post surgery then seek a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. 

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Can I use supplements like fat burners and proteins 3 months after the surgery for severe gynecomastia?

Thank you for your question. I think that it will be in your best interests to achieve your long-term stable weight. Then, it is likely that some skin excision will be helpful. Most patients, will accept the resulting scars, in exchange for the improvement in chest wall contour. Best wishes as you achieve your goals.

Although, it should be safe to use these supplements, they probably will not have significant affect on your loose skin.   It may take several more months to see the final result of your surgery and you may need to consider skin resection to achieve the results you are hoping for.  However, I would wait 6 to 12 moths before having a secondary procedure.  It will take this amount of time for your tissues to fully heal.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia and loose skin

Thank you for your question. Look like lot of loose skin. Can not comment without seeing pore op pictures. Pl see your PS for evaluation and express your concerns.

Thank you for your question but a full examination with preop photos and your operative note is needed to give an accurate answer to how best to treat your result

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD