My gynecomastia hurts! Is this genetic? (Photo)

I have mild gynocomatia I'm 16. I went into the bathroom, mind you I have not seen a doctor yet, and self examined if I had this. The past times I did this flex and feel around the nipple exam I didn't feel a bit of pain just a spongy mound of like balls. Now I went to do the self exam in my left nipple I feel sharp pain. Is this breast cancer? Am I just overweight? I'm 5'4 and 128 pounds. I lost 36 pounds! Is this genetic? My dad and grandpa had/has gyno too. Will it go away on its own?

Possible Physiologic Gynecomastia at Age 16

Gynecomastia is a common occurrence in boys going through puberty.There are different types of #gynecomastia.  Categorized as #physiologic gynecomastia, up to 2/3 of boys going through puberty develop some form of gynecomastia. This form of gynecomastia is due to the surges in testosterone and estrogen which often lead to an imbalance of the testosterone:estrogen ratio. Puberty is a difficult time for most boys, with many changes occurring not just physically but also emotionally. Developing gynecomastia during this age can affect the self-image and confidence of a teenager. The peak incidence occurs around 14 years of age.

In up to 75% of boys who develop pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 2 years. In 90% of boys with pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 3 years. So deciding who needs surgery is very important in this age group because a majority of these boys will not need any intervention. #Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Meanwhile, #Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Gynecomastia in Teens

Hi Igotquestions,
Thanks for the post and photos. Physiologic gynecomastia is not uncommon in males in their teens. For the vast majority of guys who develop gynecomastia in their teens, it gets better on its own. There is also a genetic component to gynecomastia which may also correlate in your case. That being said, based on the photos you either have a very mild case or no gynecomastia at all.
Rest assured, it would be highly unlikely for this to be breast cancer.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia?

Take it easy! Your photos do not demonstrate Gynecomastia, but you should be checked out by your doctor. Even if you do have mild Gynecomastia, chances are good that it will go away by the time you turn 17. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about the subject. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Gynecomastia pain

Gynecomaatia can be genetic, as demonstrated in your case. Breast pain can accompany puberty.  See a physician who can explain and examine you. Best wishes.

Adolescent gynecomastia

Gynecomastia is genetic in many people.
Snch your condition is mild you probably can wait.
Cancer is extremely rare,and I never hard about cancer in your age. 

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

My gynecomastia hurts! Is this genetic?

If you have mild gynecomastia, it is not surprising that you may notice it more following the weight loss.  In many cases gynecomastia is genetic in nature - it can run in your family and during puberty the breasts can become tender.  In some cases as one ages the breast tissue may regress somewhat and the tenderness should resolve.  If the pain continues, or if you note a firm lump or discharge from your nipple, you should have your doctor examine you.  Breast cancer is rare in men, but is not impossible.  From your photos, I believe that you are correct that the gynecomastia in your case is minor and may resolve with time.  If it remains a bother it is possible to have the tender tissue removed.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

My gynecomastia hurts! Is this genetic?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns, especially the discomfort you are experiencing. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall).

Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Painful gynecomastia

It is not unusual for the breasts to feel tender. If you have had the breast swelling less than 2 years, it is possible for it to go away on its own. Male breast cancer is very rare, men account for about only 1% of breast cancer patients in the United States. You should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia for a consultation to put your mind at ease, and to let you know what options are available to you. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia and pain

Thank you for your question. It is extremely rare to have cancer in male breast. It may run in your family. It is better to a physician for evaluation. Your pictures doesn't look bad.