Is an Opthalmologist Qualified to Inject Botox and Fillers?

Doctor Answers 23

Yes If Trained and Experienced

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Some opthalmologists are very skilled at injecting BOTOX. Please realize that the husband-wife team of the Carruthers discovered the cosmetic use for this agent. The female half of this team is an opthalmologist and was using Botox to treat blepharospasm. She noted it smoothed out wrinkles, summoned her dermatologist husband and the rest is history.

I really do not know much about opthalmologist and fillers. Fillers strike me as more of a skin thing than an eye thing, but now adays who knows.

Incidentally, let me brag a bit on American medicine. My mother, who helped isolate Botox with Ed Shantz et al back in the 1940's, had a heart attack early Tuesday AM. Back when I started medical practice, diagnosis would have been delayed. Her CPK-MB was normal and there were no changes on the initial EKG. A More sensitive test, troponin , picked up an early myocarial infarction, she underwent an angioplasty and the next day ( today) was sent home. Almost routine. Kudos to her physicians and the technology that lead to the ease of this treatment.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Many Ophthalmologists are highly skilled and trained in the use of Botox and fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Many Ophthalmologists are highly skilled and trained in the use of Botox and fillers. It is more important to consider the background and experience of the individual doctor rather than the specific board certification. In addition most of the early research in the clinical use of botulinum toxin later known as Botox was done by ophthalmologists. These medications were first used to treat complex eyelid and eye muscle disorders.

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Can an opthalmologist inject Botox?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes they can. This is assuming that they have received the proper training and perform the procedure frequently. There are many physicians in the "core group" of injectors (plastic surgeons, dermatologist, opthalmologists) who know how to do the injections, but haven't done one in years. It is important that you find someone who is well-versed in injectable treatments and is comfortable doing it.

Sirish Maddali, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

Opthalmologists are considered part of the core specialists for Botox injection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Ophthalmologists along with Otolaryngologists, dermatologists and plastic surgeons are the core specialists who typically recieve training in the use of Botox. This does not mean that each of these specialists perform this service routinely and therefore you should ask about your physician' s unique experience with Botox injections.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Ophthalmologists and injectables

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Many ophthalmologists are skilled at Botox, Dysport and injectable filler treatments. Much like you would check the credentials of your dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or facial plastic surgeon, make sure that the doctor performing your injections has undergone appropriate training and has experience with the techniques.

Best of luck!

Ophthalmologist Qualified to Inject Botox Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, as long as they have undergone the training. Their general training in the eye area and vicinity of the eyes makes them familiarized with the anatomy of the face. Injecting in the face does require training for any kind of physician.

In essence it is the training and experience of the injector that is more important than their actual medical specialty.


Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Opthalmologists certainly have the basic skills

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Snowball

The better question is given my choices who is the best person to go to in my area. Generally, the best choice will be a physician or surgeon is the so-called aesthetic core: Dermatology, Plastic Surgery, Otolaryngology (including facial plastics), and ophthalmology (including oculoplastics). That does not mean that say a family practitioner can't safely perform these services. So much depends on the individual. However, doctors board certified from the aesthetic core will in general be better choices.

Another excellent option is to look at which is a site dedicated to practitioners who believe in minimally invasive treatments and are invited to participate with this panel by virtue of the depth of experience with these services.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Opthalmologists and fillers/Botox

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Certainly an ophtalmologist should be skilled with Botox and fillers around the eyes. Be sure to ask you physician what their training and experience is and how many they have done and if they have had any complications and how they handle them. Don't let anyone tell you that there are no risks. You may be a little more concerned about an opthalmologist using fillers in other areas however, and need to ascertain their experience here in more depth. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Who is qualified to inject Botox and Fillers?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

State laws vary about who can legally inject cosmetic treatments such as Botox and Restylane. For this reason, patients really have no idea who is doing the injecting, and it's up to the public to carefully research credentials, experience, and quality. The safest thing to do is to pursue these treatments with one of the four core physician specialties in cosmetic treatments: board-certified dermatologists, plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and oculoplastic surgeons. That means an M.D. or D.O. board-certified IN one of these fields. Not just a "board-certified doctor".

Very tricky. Please contact me if you would like help understanding someone's credentials and what that means for their background.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Qualification of Botox and filler physician injector

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Just as the experience of board-certified dermatologist and plastic surgery varies from one to another when it comes to Botox and fillers injection, the same applies to ophthalmologists. You should have a better odd with someone qualified by seeking an oculoplastic surgeon vs. an ophthalmologist.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.