Is it safe to wear a tight compression garment on the chest following a free nipple graft for a male chest reduction?

Is there risk of damage to the graft tissues from being squished?

Use of a Compression Garment After a Gynecomastia Procedure

Our patients are required to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery.
The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.

Compression garment

I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction male breast reduction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.
Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia Reduction) by liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:
  1. it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

Compression on Free Nipple Graft

Hi mrsaturn,
Thanks for the post. I recommend compression after gynecomastia surgery even with free nipple grafting. However, too much compression is not necessary and can be detrimental. Your plastic surgeon will be better equipped to guide you in how tight your compression should be.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Compression Garment with Gynecomastia surgery and Nipple grafting

In my opinion, a compression garment is just as important with a free nipple graft after gynecomastia surgery as it is with the more traditional technique.

Compression after free nipple grafts

The answer to your question is easy-you should have the appropriate compression. This would be determined by your doctor at the end of surgery. There should be some way to communicate this to you, so you can make adjustments yourself.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Much better to run this question by her plastic surgeon directly.  Although a protective garment is a good idea after free nipple grafting, the use of compression garment that is too tight may be  problematic. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Chest compression and free nipple graft

Too much pressure may be a problem for a free nipple graft. Best to ask your surgeon what his preference is. Good luck.