Can you use a cartilage shaver in gynecomastia?

I read that some surgeons now use a cartilage shaver to remove gynecomastia. Does this really work? What specifications do you have to have to do this?

Procedure Options - Gynecomastia

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The following options are those that I present to my patients.
·       1- Liposuction – This procedure is a common resolution treatment for gynecomastia that is primarily the result of excessive fatty tissue. During this procedure a thin hallow tube called a cannula is inserted through small incisions and moved back and forth as it loosens the fat and removes it through a vacuum suction ·       . 2- Excision – The excision technique is used on cases of gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. ·       3- Liposuction and Excision Combination – The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Results and Recovery Visible results are immediate. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. Dressings and bandages will be applied to incisions and a support garment will be used to support the new chest contour and minimize swelling. At times, a thin small tube will be placed under the skin in order to drain fluid and blood that may collect. The results are usually permanent. On occasion the condition may return and treatment will need to be repeated.If you would like to find a local surgeon that uses a shaver you will just need to look around and schedule some consultations to find out what their procedure options are. Best of luck

Cartilage shaver and gynecomastia

Some surgeons may use a cartilage shaver to remove gynecomastia tissue but there are risks like hematomas that can develop because often this is done blindly( meaning without direct visualization). I prefer direct excision often combined with liposuction.

Cartilage shaver for scarless gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for the great question. Our practice has been using cartilage shaver for correction of gynecomastia for many years and see excellent results for patients with even moderate gynecomastia. A combination of standard liposuction and cartilage shaver is used to enable complete removal of both the gland and fibrofatty component and no scar is seen on the chest. You should seek in person consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who specialize in this technique. Good luck !

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia correction

Hi. Some surgeons will use a cartilage shaver to remove some of the glandular tissue. It basically comes down to surgeon preferences as well as anatomy of the patient. I prefer to use ultrasonic liposuction with or without a direct excision of the glandular tissue, depending on the overall clinical picture. I hope that helps.
Good luck and take care, Dr. Howell

Cartilage shaver works for gynecomastia

Using a cartilage shaver is a nice way to reduce gynecomastia in most male patients. It is not helpful if skin needs to be removed, however.  Using a cartilage shaver can decrease the scarring and potentially the swelling.  I hope this helps .

Anthony Youn, MD, FACS
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question, you have been doing your research!  In most cases of gynecomastia complete glandular removal is best performed through a lower areola incision as this allows complete, direct visualization of the glandular tissue.  A cartilage shaver can be used in very small cases of gynecomastia that are glandular and do not demonstrate a significant fibrofatty component.  Hope this helps.

Cartilage shaver for male breast reduction

I use an orthopedic shaver for male breast reduction patients.  I will use this technique if i am revising another surgeons' work or in cases where there is very, very, minor glandular component to the breast (i.e. minimal firm fibrous tissue underneath the nipple)  This technique does not remove the tissue as completely as the incisional technique.