Does the gynecomastia compression vest effect the shape of the final results?

Does wearing compression vest after gynecomastia surgery effect the shape of the final results or does it simply speed up recovery time and nothing more? Should i assume that it just takes much longer to heal by not wearing the vest, but it will not change the outcome at all?

Using a Compression Garment After a Gynecomastia Surgery

Our patients are required to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery. The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised. Your board-certified surgeon will recommend the use of the garment, or not, depending on your individual case and surgical procedure. Therefore, if you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Compression garment

I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction male breast reduction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.
Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia Reduction) by liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:
  1. it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

Thanks for your question.
The short answer is no but there is more to it. 
The purpose of the vest is to prevent the wounds under the skin from accumulating fluid and to a lesser degree to hold tissue in place while it heals. It is the surgery itself and the tissue removed that determines the final result. However, fluid accumulation, more than usual scar tissue, and tissue mobility (shear) can interfere with the result so not using compression can compromise the result. It is always best to discuss this with your surgeon and follow instructions closely. He/she is the only one who knows what is best based on the surgical plan. 

Hope this helps.

Bram Kaufman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garments

Thank you for your question. The vest helps to keep fluid out of the surgicl area, and allow healing to occur without the excess fluid present. More retained fluid, more scar tisue. The vests help keep the area flatter. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Hi tbailey411,

Compression garments are helpful in the short term (first several weeks) to reduce the swelling associated with surgery. This is moreso the case if the gynecomastia surgery involves liposuction. However, wearing or not wearing a compression garment should not affect the final result, but perhaps the length of time it takes to get to the final result.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

A compression vest can be effective in helping to control the swelling after surgery, but should not affect the shape much.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia and compression garments

I do not believe compression garments affect the final results after gynecomastia excision. Closed suction drains are often needed to help apply the skin flap down to the muscle to encourage healing. I think external pressure is less effective. It probably doesn't inhibit seroma production or bleeding or swelling. I encourage my patients to wear them if they find them comfortable. Many doctors have different ideas on this and it is best to follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction | Gynecomastia

The compression vest usually does not effect the final result. It can reduce bruising and swelling and make bruising and swelling go away quicker.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Compression garment and gynecomastia

Some surgeons do not use compression garments. In general, I like them, because I think they help with swelling and patients feel more comfortable with them on.

Compression with gynecomastia surgery

A compression vest is thought to decrease swelling and fluid accumulation.  If you develop a chronic fluid accumulation (seroma) it can affect the final outcome so I wold recommend wearing compression as prescribed by your surgeon.