As I have aged, my chest area wraps around toward my armpit. From the side it looks like woman's breast. What can I do? (Photo)

I am a middle aged man (52); in good shape. My chest has gotten fatter and the skin wraps in a downward fashion (sags). I can also grab the skin/fat? below the armpit area which is extensive. It is as though I need a male breast lift. Is there such a thing? I don't feel anything behind my nipple but that area has gotten fatter too - could is by gynecomastia? Is this a combination of gynecomastia and sagging skin form age? I have never been fat. Can I tighten it through a procedure? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 11

Reducing Breast Size in Men over 50

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The treatment of #older men with #gynecomastia still follows basic surgical guidelines and principles. First, the patient must be in generally good health. There is no defined upper age limit for gynecomastia surgery. However, medical issues, such as hypertension, diabetes, etc. must be under control prior to surgery. In older men the main difference in the surgery compared with younger men has to do with their skin tone and nipple position. As we get older, we lose #elastin in our skin which leads to decreased tone. Therefore, in certain cases, the gynecomastia surgery in older men will also need to address the loosened skin and possibly #repositioning of the nipple and areola. This will allow for the most ideal contour and a patient who is happy with their results.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

As I have aged, my chest area wraps around toward my armpit. From the side it looks like woman's breast. What can I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Liposuction to contour the chest may be reasonable given your history and pictures.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Beverly Hills, CA


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. It looks like you may have a mild case of Gynecomastia and excess fat settled into the areas you've mentioned. An in-person exam with a board certified Plastic Surgeon will be the best way to find out. They will examine your skin elasticity as well which is important when considering liposuction- remove fat and potentially you are left with more loose skin. 

Gynecomastia affects all shapes and sizes of men- slim ones as well. The surgical techniques used to address this can involve excision of glandular tissue, Liposuction for fat, lift/repositioning of areolas. I recommend that you book your in-person consultation with a Plastic Surgeon with lots of experience in this procedure and your age group then find out about your options.

All the best

Male "breasts"

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your photos, you have a mildly to moderately enlarged male chest.  Without a full physical and history, I cannot give you a definitive diagnosis, but I would guess that you have pseudogynecomastia which can be treated in a number of ways.  Your skin elasticity would be one of the greatest factors whether or not the skin will contract enough to give you the lift you desire without additional scars.  Thank you for your question.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

As I have aged, my chest area wraps around toward my armpit. From the side it looks like woman's breast. What can I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your images appear to show both fatty tissue and breast tissue. You will likely require gynecomastia tissue excision as well s liposuction to the chest wall so that you will have the smoothest chest wall contour possible. Good luck!

The right surgeon is important especially for people over 40

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
How should I choose the right surgeon?
 Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 89 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It appears from your pictures that you may have an element of true gynecomastia, but some of your shape is due to lipodystrophy (fat). Gllandular tissue and probably will change very little with exercise or weight changes, but fat will.  Liposuction may be very helpful in your case. It is not usually a serious medical condition, but if you are concerned about the appearance I would recommend that you seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Male chest aging

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is a problem for all men when they age. The chest can become a bit fatty and the skin can get loose.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Aging problems of the male breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
As men age, they tend to accumulate fat, their skin loses some elasticity, and their testosterone production diminishes, which allows for a predominance of estrogen over testosterone to occur.  The net effect is what you have been observing in your own body.

All of these problems can be appropriately treated by an experienced plastic surgeon, particularly one who has demonstrated considerable interest and expertise in all phases of gynecomastia correction.  For further information, please consult my website captioned below.

Good luck!

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.