I'm 23years old. Can I have breast implants with a pacemaker?

I've had a pacemaker since I was 16 due to a trifascicular block (placed over the muscle, under the collarbone). I have no other health issues. So my question is, would it be possible to get breast implants without interfering with the pacemaker? And, would the implants present a problem when I need to replace the pacemaker?

Thank you for your question, I have had many patients with the same problem and the was no problem at all Breast augmentation” operation is performed under general anesthesia and it takes to perform the procedure nearly 1 to 1.5 hours when it is performed by a team of plastic surgeons. It is really important to decrease the operation duration to give less anesthesia to the patient yielding a better postoperative period to the patient. You will be advised not to eat 6 hours before the surgery and that is all! You will get a physical examination by your surgeon and anesthetist. After the examination; we will prepare you for the surgery. You will receive a sedation in order to reduce the preoperative anxiety and fell yourself more comfortable.

Breast augmentation with pacemaker?

You are still a candidate for surgery, but I would require medical clearance from your cardiologist prior to moving forward.  The implants should not cause any issues for you when replacing the pacemaker.  Best of luck!

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. This should not be a problem and I have performed breast augmentation in patients with this exact same story before.  You would need to obtain medical clearance from your cardiologist prior to surgery.    This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast implants with pacemaker

This should not be an issue- as long as the wire won't be stretched out by the implant, etc. Usually, the pacemaker needs to be demagnetized so it is not affected during surgery. Clearance with your cardiologist would be necessary as well as An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Pacemaker and BA

From a plastic surgery point of view it appears that the location of the pacemaker should not interfere with doing a breast augmentation. The real issue is from an anesthesia point of view can you tolerate a drug such as epinephrine which aids in helping with blood loss. In my experience with this issue, a pacemaker specific magnet is needed in the operating room to override the settings or reset the settings of a pacemaker. This question is best answered by your cardiologist who knows the type of pacemaker and its ramifications under a general anesthetic. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS