Would 335cc or 275cc look natural on me? Is 65cc difference really a lot? (Photo)

So I went to my consult yesterday and I am going in for BA on Wednesday. I have one chest wall that is indented so the doctor has to compensate for that. My 2 choices are 275cc on left and 335 cc in right which is a more conservative look OR 335cc on left and 400cc on right. I am getting hung up on 400 cc. In your opinion would the bigger size still look natural? I still want to have a lean look and not be top heavy. Is 65cc even a big difference? My chest width would be 11.5 -12.0

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Would 335 or 275 look natural on you?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Choose Personally for Your Desired Result

Breast Appearance – The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.You will want to take your questions and desired results to local surgeon for consultation, and make sure you seek out all the information on implant type, size and procedure details to reach your results. Best of luck to you, and be sure not to hold back at all with your questions or concerns.

Implant sizes

You sort of answered your own question.  Plus, you appear to have a little bit of a constricted lower pole of your breast, so I'd want to be very careful about trying to go too big.  If you're active, and already thin, go with the smaller implant combo.  It will look great and be more natural.  I assume you're going with round implants, but if you want a natural look, have you considered shaped implants?  It will also help expand out that lower pole.  Good luck!

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Physician

Asymmetry can present a challenge

Thank you for your question and for providing the photograph.  I can see from the photograph that you have a chest wall asymmetry, with concavity on the left.  In your question you indicate that the larger size will be on your right.  I assume you mean the left side as the more concave side will need more volume.  Asymmetry can be very difficult to correct.  It is helpful to look at the patient bending over to see other asymmetries which you may or may not have.  Right now it looks like you have chest wall asymmetry, shape and volume asymmetry.  In cases of chest wall asymmetry, a patient may need an implant with not only a different volume, but different dimensions.  In my experience 65cc may not be enough volume difference and you may need two totally different types of implants.  In some patients, shaped implants are very useful in cases of asymmetry.  In any event, be prepared to have some asymmetry post-operatively.  I assume the implants will be placed subpectoral.  I recommend textured implants in situations such as yours.  In patients with a sloping chest wall, a smooth implant will tend to "slide" towards the center, even in the subpectoral position.  Given your statement that you want to look lean and seeing your frame, I feel that the sizes are perhaps larger than what you want.  Can your plastic surgeon do 3D imaging for you so you can see what it will look like?  This can be very helpful.  Please be very confident that you understand what needs to be corrected and what result you can expect from your surgery.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast augmentation candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question. In my practice for cases like yours I prefer to use the Cohesive Gel - Silicón Breast Implants with textured cover ("gummy bear implants") with a volume between 350-400. They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and natural appearance.Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Would 335cc or 275cc look natural on me? Is 65cc difference really a lot?

Thank you for the question. It's impossible to answer question fully because implant sizing is determined by your goals and breast measurements. A 400 cc implant, with your breast width measurements, would require a high, or extra high, profile implant. This will give a "fake" look. If you desire a "natural" look then you'll have to select a moderate, or moderate-plus, profile implant. It really depends on what your goal look is. I would communicate carefully with your plastic surgeon so that they can advise you.

Implant selection

It is very difficult to tell you what size implant would be best for you without an exam. If you are deciding between the two at this point, then try a baggy test. Best of luck.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Different implants for different size breasts

Hi and thank you for your question. Using two different size implants is a reasonable plan when patients have volume asymmetry. For most patients 60 cc wouldn't make much of a difference. But for particularly thin, small framed patients an extra 60 cc can be the difference between a pretty natural result and one that potentially looks fake. Ultimately your surgeon will need to make that decision for you in the operating room based on how you actually look with different size implants. Good luck to you
Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon