I previously asked this question, but according to the answers I received, evidently I wasn't clear about what information I was asking for. So, restated, my question is, since my body is already allergic/sensitive to some foods (soy, gluten, dairy, etc.) and also to certain drug ingredients (msg, sulfates, etc.), might I also become allergic/sensitive to breast implants? I don't currently have any issues sensitivities/allergies to latex, adhesives, etc.
The chance of you developing an allergy to silicone, even with your history to multiple allergens is exceedingly remote. In fact, the only reported cases I am aware of are in infants allergic to brain shunts. These are even quite rare for the amount of shunts done. Since silicone is so ubiquitous and found in almost all baby bottles and many other things that babies use regularly, we generally develop a tolerance to silicone. That may be why the cases of allergy have all been in infants who had large amounts of silicone placed before they developed this tolerance.
Silicone implants are among the most rigorously studied/tested and thus safest medical devices available. They are composed of a biologically inert material (shell and filling). They are extremely durable (the lifespan of the newest generation device is likely to far exceed that of previous iterations) and are highly unlikely to "leak." In the event of the rare rupture/fracture, there has been no identified risk to the patient.With regards to latex allergies, there is no latex in the implant and accommodations can be made by the surgical team to eliminate other latex sources (gloves etc.). That being said, a thorough review of a patient's unique allergy history is a very important component of any surgical plan.As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.
No, what you're describing does not increase your risk of being "allergic" to breast implants. The silicone outer shell and the material itself are relatively inert, with minimal to no allergens to enable your immune system to form a response.
In over 30 years I have only seen one case of a severe and rapid reaction to silicone implants (in the 80's). An article was published describing this reaction in the ps literature however I have never again seen a case AND it wasn't even clear that it was an allergy.I think the only real risk to you would be reacting to medications such as antibiotics or pain pills. The risk of a silicone allergy would seem to be extremely small.Best of luck and regards,
Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016
Beverly Hills, Ca
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as
a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you
have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute
or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.