Is $15K reasonable for breast augmentation and lift?

I went to a consult for breast augmentation and breast lift. The doctor is located on the Upper East Side in NYC, so I expected her quote to be higher than average, but she quoted $15,000 for the procedures. She didn't say there was anything exceptional about my case. Does this sound right?

Thank you for your question.  Be sure to have several consultations with experienced board certified plastic surgeons in your region.  If you're going to a surgeon in Manhattan, of course, you will pay more.  However, there are plenty of outstanding plastic surgeons outside of Manhattan in your area who can provide you with an excellent result without the exorbitant cost.  BTW, according to over 3000 reviews on realself, the average cost of this procedure is $8800.  This will vary from surgeon to surgeon and region to region.  Good luck!

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Here at The Dominican Republic the average is US$ 3200... The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Lift and augmentation

It really depends upon how complex the work will be. Best of luck deciding to move forward with your surgery. A second opinion with another doctor may be worth it.

Cost of Breast Lift and Implants

There are a number of variables which come into consideration with regards to breast augmentation and breast lift surgery.  Things to consider include the type of lift as well as the type of implants used.

You should discuss this further with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with lift

Hello and thank you for your question.  I always recommend patients seek multiple consultations for this type of surgery.  Fortunately, there are many good surgeons in this immediate area. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Cost of combination breast lift with implants depends on the skill and reputation of the surgeon and where the procedure is done. Hospital OR and Anesthesia charges are high so you will find costs higher when procedure done in the safety of a hospital. I charge $15,700.00 in a Boston suburb hospital

That does not sound unreasonable

A lot of factors go into pricing.  A few costs are out of the control of the surgeon like anesthesia cost (usually contracted with surgeon if they own their own facility but differs if using general anesthesia or "twilight" or local), implant costs (these can vary depending on what you choose- saline vs. gel or shaped vs. round or textured vs. smooth), facility costs (different if you own your own operating room), etc.  Then there are the costs of things like using Exparel for post-operative pain control, surgical bras, scar creams, etc.  And then there is the "surgeon's fee".  This is how much you are directly paying for THIS surgeon to do YOUR surgery.  Some bill out hourly and some just have a standard cost for a particular procedure.  When all those things add up, I don't think $15,000 for an Upper East Side plastic surgeon is beyond reason for this surgery.  Mastopexy-augmentations take skill and my advice is to pay for that skill and make sure you have a surgeon that gets incredible results.  Hope this helps,

-JGH 

Cost of surgery

Factors that go into pricing a surgery are the degree of difficulty, the geographic location, the facility the surgeon uses, and often the degree of experience of the particular surgeon with the procedure you are seeking. Also the cost of particular implants selected for your procedure may play a role in pricing. Revisional surgery is typically more difficult and, as such, more expensive. If you feel the quote is high you should seek another opinion from a plastic surgeon and make your decision based on more information. Good luck!

Thank you for the question. When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implants… are some of the potential variables involved.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.