How can you tell if your gummy breast implant is ruptured? (Photo)

I got gummie bear implants with breast lift Jan 15-2016 3 months ago I think one is ruptured because it sits lower then the other breast and it's not as full as the other one(the right breast sags) I did my breast out of town I no longer have a doctor to check up with now that I reside back in miami

How can you tell if your gummy breast implant is ruptured?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue, hugs!

Thank you for your question.  If you suspect that your silicone implant is ruptured, be sure to visit your plastic surgeon to get examined clinically.  The recommended imaging study to rule out a rupture would be an MRI.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Ruptured implant

There are two types of ruptures for gummy bear implants. The first type of rupture is called an external rupture. This is where the implant shell is torn. The best non surgical technique to diagnose rupture is a MRI. This is a special scan that the patient undergoes. Please note with all tests there are what is called false positives and what is called false negatives. 

A false postive means that the skin shows rupture but in reality there is none. A false negative means that there is no evidence of rupture but the implant is ruptured. 

An internal rupture means that the shell is intact but the implant lost its shape. This is more difficult to diagnose. 

I recommend you go back to your plastic surgeon to be reevaluated. I hope this helps.  

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Ruptured Implant?

Thank you for your question and photos
Diagnosing rupture of silicone gel implants today is extremely difficult if not impossible clinically. Imaging studies, in particular MRI, is the best way to visualize implants and make an accurate diagnosis. From your photos it appears that you have some asymmetry of your lift which may give the appearance that you are concerned about. It is best to see your plastic surgeon so that they can examine you and guide you in the right direction
Best of Luck

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Gummy bear implant rupture

The best way to diagnose silicone implant rupture is by MRI and physical examination. I would establish care with a board certified plastic surgeon who may exam you. Also, just because an implant sits lower than the other does not mean the implant is ruptured. No two breasts are alike and some asymmetry is common, and this may be a potential reason for one implant looking different that the other.

Good luck!

Manish C. Champaneria, MD

Thank you for your question.  An examination by her plastic surgeon and an MRI exam is necessary to accurately diagnose a ruptured silicone gel implant.  I suggested she see your plastic surgeon for examination in person and not rely on Internet advice.