Will alarplasty be painful or uncomfortable under local anesthesia? (Photo)

Trying to make a decision if I'm going to have my alarplasty done under local anesthesia because it is cheaper but I'm afraid of pain! I fear needles badly. I don't wanna flinch or make a wrong move and it messes up my nose! I'm also worried I'm going to need more work done after I go because my nostrils won't match my nose but I'm trying to avoid a open procedure I'm scared of waking up with a whole new nose.

Alarplasty Anesthesia

Typically alarplasty alone can be performed under local anesthesia and it is well tolerated. If this is performed in conjunction with a formal rhinoplasty I would recommend more anesthesia depending on your surgeon's preference. 

Will alar plasty be painful under local anesthesia?

In our practice, we perform most  alar-plasty procedures under local anesthesia.  this requires one shot of lidocaine below each nostril which is very tolerable. General anesthesia would not be needed. 

Alar base

Yes, an alar base can be done at local, but if you are anxious you are better to be sedated.  Good luck.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from reduction of the width of your alar base.  I would recommend general anesthesia for the best result.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD