Can I wear my eyeglasses after an Alar base reduction?

I had an Alar base reduction yesterday and I forgot to ask my doctor if I could wear my glasses. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Wearing glasses after alarplasty

It really depends on a lot of things. If you have a choice, I would hold on wearing your glasses for now. It shouldn't be a huge problem, but I don't know how heavy your glasses are and how strong your nose bridge is. Some people wear heavy glasses very low and that could put pressure on your incisions, which you don't want during the first month while your incisions are healing. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Glasses with alar base reduction

Since the surgery is at the base of the alar and the glasses is sitting on the bridge of the nose it should be fine to wear glasses after alar base reduction only.  Just be aware if the glasses is touching the alar base. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Always check with your surgeon. If all my patient has had is the simple reduction of the alar base and the eye glasses are not touching anywhere near the alar region I allow them to wear glasses

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from rhinoplasty: alar reduction and eyeglasses

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process are restrictions and guidelines set by your surgeon to optimize your outcome. Frequently, patients are told to avoid eyeglasses as it puts pressure on the nose. 

Alar reduction involves the bottom of the nose. It is likely that eyeglasses will not affect this area as you heal; however, I always have my patients bring their glasses into the office to check. Very heavy glasses that rest low on the nose can potential put pressure on healing ala. Check with your surgeon. Safety comes first

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction

Alar base reduction typically deals with the bottom of the nose away from the dorsum of the nose where your glasses may sit. I would check with your surgeon to make sure.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Glasses and nostril surgery

You should ask your surgeon if you have any unclear post operative instructions, however if your surgery was isolated to the skin and nostril area, I would suspect it is OK to have glasses on the dorsum of your nose.

Hope that helps,

Christopher C. Chang, MD

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Wearing glasses after nasal surgery.

Thanks for your question. You should definitely call your surgeon to make sure, but if all you had was an alar base resection, wearing your glasses shouldn't affect things at all. We care about glasses if you had osteotomies to move your nasal bones. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon