I have my nipples pierced. I want to get a breast lift. Will my holes close during surgery? I don't want to get mine re-pierced.

Nipple repiercing

Dear KMussina35,
    We often opeate on women with the same issues..  We take the piercings out prior to surgery and replace them immediately afterwards.  It is never an issue.
Sincerely,
ARYKRAUMD FACS

The nipple piercing holes will not close after a breast lift

You should be able to keep your nipple piercing after a breast lift, usually without any modifications.

While the metal piercings should not be worn during the surgery, there is no reason for you to have them re-pierced after the procedure. The piercings will not be an issue.

Pierced nipples and moving the nipple

can result in your bars no longer being perfectly horizontal (or whatever direction you have them) and re-piercings may be needed  later.

Curtis Wong, MD

Nipple piercing and breast surgery

The surgical procedure should not affect your nipples or your piercings at all. You should be able to use a plastic spacer to replace your metal piercing for the actual procedure. You can switch things back to your normal piercing right after surgery. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Piercing and Breast Lift

There should be no problem with your piercings. Metal in or near the surgical field is a bad idea for a number of reasons so they need to be out during the surgery but how long they stay out beyond that is up to you and your surgeon. Shouldn't be an issue.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

There is no issue with nipple piercing and breast lift surgery.  The jewelry will need to be removed prior to surgery, and replaced when your doctor says it is OK.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Effect on nipple piercing with breastlift

There should be no issue with your nipple piercing with breast lift. Nothing is done to the nipple. You will need to remove the piercings just prior to surgery and should wait on replacing the jewelry until after your surgery when the surgeon clears you to do it.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Your holes will remain patent during surgery

Depending on the piercing, we will often tape piercings with steristrips rather than removing them. If that's not possible, you could ask your surgeon to replace your piercing in recovery to avoid having to be repierced. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Pierced Nipples and Mastopexy

Thank you for your question. Mastopexy involves rearranging the breast tissue to give a more "lifted" youthful appearance. Depending on the type of mastopexy performed this may also involve rotation of the nipple. Therefore if your piercing was "side to side" or "horizontal" it might end up "vertical" or "up and down".
I would not be concerned about the piercing closing but the repositioning of the nipple may alter your piercing's angle. Make sure you consult with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and he/she can go over the risks and benefits of a breast lift.

Enrique Hanabergh, Jr., MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon