I am interested in cool sculpting for turkey neck as well as fat pad at mid line of neck.

I am 40 pounds overweight. Will losing weight first help me to get optimal results from cool sculpting? I am 55, so I know that part of this problem is because of my age. I know the weight gain hasn't helped either. Just wondering how much a weight loss alone, at this point in my life, might affect the appearance of my neck.

Non-surgical treatments that reduce volume include under the chin include: CoolSculpting and Kybella. Surgical options include liposuction and/or a neck lift. There are also multiple non-surgical procedures to assist with skin tightening that include Laser therapy and radio frequency. If you are in the process of losing weight I recommend that you try to lose the weight first. Otherwise you can always consult a certified physician for recommendation.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns and find an option that fits you best. An in-person assessment is always best.

Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Coolsculpting for Turkey Neck

Hi,
It sounds like it would be best for you to get an evaluation in person to see how much of your neck is fat or loose skin.  It is best is you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can give you an honest and objective opinion.  If you have primarily fat, you could be a canidate for the cool mini which is excellent for chin fat.  If you also have loose skin, you will probably need a procedure to tighten or lift the skin also.

Warmly,
Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

There are lots of options for excess tissue under the chin causing a turkey neck appearance. Non-surgical treatments that reduce volume include under the chin include: CoolSculpting and Kybella. Surgical options include liposuction and/or a neck lift. There are also multiple non-surgical procedures to assist with skin tightening that include Laser therapy and radio frequency. If you are in the process of losing weight I recommend that you try to lose the weight first. Your weight loss may not make the problem go away, and in fact it may create a different problem. One that now is excess loose skin vs excess volume. However, I think it is most important that you are as healthy as you can be first and foremost. Lose the weight then assess what concerns you may want to address with rejuvenation options.

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I find that liposuction with Thermi do best for this area, unless you need a surgical lift.  Noninvasive options like coolsculpting take numerous treatments for minimal improvement.  Kybella is likely better.  Dr. Emer.

Ultherapy & truSculpt for the neck and chin areas

Hello. CoolSculpting is a wonderful treatment but it works best when there is good skin laxity that allows the skin to snap back after fat is removed. Other options for the chin and neck include Ultherapy and truSculpt for the jaw line.I would recommend you pursue your weight loss goal before having any procedure as a large weight loss post procedure can affect your results.A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon can help you determine your best course of action. Good luck.

Janet Turkle, MD

I am interested in cool sculpting for turkey neck as well as fat pad at mid-line of neck.

There have been many patients that are happy with the cool Sculpting and tru Sculpting for the neck, arms, and back.  We also have other options, such as Kybella, which is injected into the neck area to dissolve the fat.  I recommend sitting down with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss which procedure will be the best for you.  Good luck!

It's all about the neck

There are more options for neck rejuvenation than ever before, and many of them are non surgical. Coolsculpting is an excellent option for patients with moderate to moderate plus neck fullness. It can address a significant amount of fat in the neck and provide some skin tightening, but it will not provide significant tightening. 

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Cool Sculpting

Weight loss will help with the fat pad below your chin. However, it won't help with the loose skin of your neck and chin. CoolSculpting under the chin with the coolmini gives great results for fat reduction of the submental fat pad. The amount of treatments you will need will depend on the how much fat you need to have reduced. Therefore, if you lose weight and this reduces the fat under your chin, you may need less treatments. Sometimes the submental fat is stubborn and doesn't reduce much with weight loss. However, it is always a good idea to lose any extra weight for overall health. In regards to the appearance of your neck, if it is loose skin, weight lose as well as cool sculpting will not affect this. A skin tightening procedure such a Ultherapy, an ultrasound techinique used to deliver heat into the tissue for skin tightening would be a good option to look into for tightening and lifting of the neck and chin area after the CoolSculpting is done. It would be best to go to a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who does both procedures for an evaluation to see if you would be a good candidate for either procedure. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

CoolSculpting under the chin

CoolSculpting under the chin has become increasingly popular since the release of Zeltiq's most recently released applicator the CoolMini. The treatment protocol generally requires two treatments, one shortly after consultation and the second about 60 after the first. For most of the applicators we retreat at 30 days but with the smaller applicator we have found best results by delaying the second treatment a bit. Given your age and the fact that you had mentioned being overweight you should know that this procedure can be great at removing fat but if you have a lot of laxity in your neck it will not help much with skin tightness. One potential path may be to reduce the fat under your chin using the CoolSculpting and then tighten up the neck with a noninvassive skin tightening technology like Ultherapy.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD