Does the inflammation caused by Coolsculpting reach or affect the brain?

From what I undersand, Coolscultping results in inflammation causing fat cell death. Over the course of 3-90 days, fat cells die and are processed by the lymphatic system. Isn't inflammation bad and implicated in everything from depression to cancer? Is it safe to cause this type of inflammation? Is the inflammation localised to the bkdy ir does it affect the brain?

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is FDA approved and is very safe. The brain is not affected by this procedure in anyway. 

Sheila Nazarian

Thank you for your question. There are several studies conducted on the science behind CoolSculpting, none of which suggest that the inflammation travels beyond the treatment site. If you are concerned, you can always see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to learn more about the procedure. All the best. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Brain Swelling after CoolSculpting

Today Zeltiq the company that manufactures the CoolSculpting Machines and the CoolCards which run them announced that they have received expanded clearance from the FDA. The company will now be able to advertise the ability to reduce fat around bra straps, on back and underneath buttocks. Zeltiq as an organization has spent a tremendous amount of time and money working with physicians around the world to run extensive tests as to the safety and efficacy of the procedure. There have been no reported instances to my knowledge of any patients having any type of inflamation which travels away from the treatment site to any other site on the body and certainly not to the brain. I have been treated by the technology and believe it to be extremely safe and effective.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Inflammation after CoolSculpting.

Problems with CoolSculpting inflammation have never been reported to travel beyond the treated site. Even the treated site very rarely causes any significant problems. Best Wishes, M Vick MD

Maurice M. Vick, Jr., MD
Baton Rouge Urologist

Inflammation After CoolSculpting

While the local and systemic effects of inflammation are the focus of a tremendous amount of study, there is nothing to suggest at this time that the inflammation after CoolSculpting treatment has any deleterious effect any where else in the body.

It's not likely that we will see a scientific paper that looks into this question specifically.

Hopefully you can be reassured by the knowledge that -

1) Most studies on the negative effects of inflammation on our bodies focus on inflammatory states that are prolonged (years), such as autoimmune disorders like Rheumatoid arthritis and untreated/unrecognized viral infections.

2) the inflammatory process triggered by CoolSculpting is localized and short lived. The time frame and extent of this inflammation is minimal when compared to relatively minor surgical procedures (also not implicated in chronic systemic effects of inflammation).

All the best.

Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

There is no scientific study that can definitively answer your question. My impression is that the amount of inflammation is not severe enough or prolonged enough to cause any of the issues you pointed out. 

Does inflammation from CoolSculpting reach or affect the brain?

The inflammatory process after a CoolSculpting procedure is only localized to the treatment area.  It does not travel throughout the body or go to the brain.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon