I have factor v making me prone for clotting. Will Coolsculpting raise my risk if I have the procedure to my abdomen area?

I previously had a dvt 20 yrs ago, and was since diagnosed with factor v homogeneous. I'm ready to commit to the coolsculpting for my abdomen, but concerned about increasing my risk of a clot. I'm not on and thinners, I was taking the birth control pill at the time of the clot and have not had any reoccurance since that time.

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon. This way, you can discuss your concerns and find an option that works best for you. Regards, 

Venous thrombosis concerns for CoolSculpting with Factor V Leidens disease

Dear lisad127:

Thanks for this interesting concern! Proper consultation with your Plastic Surgeon, Internist and / or vascular surgeon will determine what, if any "blood thinner" they may recommend for you to proceed. 

Our concern is for your ultimate safety. Factor V Leidens thrombophilia is a blood clotting disorder with an increased tendency to develop blood clots. Congestion of the superficial venous system could theoretically cause a problem with skin survival and cascade to a deep venous clotting concern. 

If you were my patient, I would recommend a Vascular Surgery Consult to determine:
  1. any congenital or acquired concerns would preclude you from CoolSculpting,
  2. use of a "blood thinning" agent to reduce the risk of superficial and deep vein thrombosis.
  3. use of SCD's, sequential compression device during the procedure. 
I hope this is helpful. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting with clotting disorder

It is my gut instinct that I would not do Coolsculpting. I have had a couple similar patients which I deferred treatment on. Since there are alternatives now, I feel in your case I would consider either Vanquish ME or Sculpsure. I think these would be safer.

Steven F. Weiner, MD