4 weeks post op, breasts still very high and tight, is this normal? (photo)

I am 4 weeks post op, my breasts are still very high and tight, I have consulted with my PS, but their advice didn't sound very helpful, I am wanting opinions of other doctors. Thanks!

Too early to judge outcome

At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome.  It takes time for the implants to settle into position and the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the new implant.  It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look.  Be patient.

Breast Augmentation

thank you for your question.You are still early in the healing process. It can take between 3 and 6 months for the breasts to soften and settle into position. Contact your surgeon with any concerns you may have. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation

It can take several months for the breasts to settle down. Best to give it about 4  months or so. Good luck.

Postoperative Breast AugmentationHealing Process

Thank you for you question and photographs. Healing from a breast augmentation is a process that can vary from person to person. It depends a lot on preoperative breast size and the size of the breast implant. When the breast implant is inserted either on top or under the muscle, it slowly expands the tissue. Initially because of the tightness of the tissues, the implants are hard and sit high and the breasts appear boxy. As the tissues accommodate to the implant and expand, the implant drops giving the breast a more natural appearance and softer feel. The process usually takes about 3 months but can take six months. Since you are only one month out from surgery, I think that your still early in the healing process and your pictures are within the normal range of how many women would look at this point. Give it a few months and you should see an improvement. It's important to talk with your plastic surgeon during the healing process and express your concerns.

Breast implants after breast augmentation

It takes time for smooth implants to settle. If they are textured they may not move. Smooth implants especially saline settle and are amenable to superior pole massage to help lower them. A superior breast band can be helpful. See your plastic surgeon for his advice. Good luck..

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Summary of Healing Process

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps. ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff. SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

4 weeks post op, breasts still very high and tight, is this normal?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  In a word, yes your current appearance is very normal.  After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest.  Though they will not get bigger, the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance, and filling your bra cup more.   I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

High and Tight

Thank you for your question, and for the pictures.
At 4 weeks, you are still very early in the healing process.  I would expect your swelling and implants to settle.  I'm curious what your plastic surgeon recommended?  They know you and your particular surgery best, so in general it's best to follow the advise of your fully trained plastic surgeon.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Hi there, thank you for your question. At 4 weeks you are still early in the healing process. Allow your body 3-6 months for the implants to settle. It is normal for implants to sit high at 4 weeks. Best, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon