Elevated HCG in labwork but NOT pregnant, what are the chances I can still have my BA?

I have elevated HCG levels in my bloodwork, as I had a surgical abortion two weeks ago (was on birthcontrol) Currently. I have surgery this tuesday flying from Canada to Miami. I have a signed doctors note showing I am not pregnant, but having any HCG levels coming back on lab work is detrimental to breast augmentation surgery why? Looking for honest answers about why a surgeon would not allow me to get surgery with confirmation I am not pregnant.

Zero chance

Without proper documentation that explains the elevated HcG the chances of you having an elective breast augmentation are zero.

Post Abortion HCG Levels

Hello,In my surgery center, evidence of abortion is sufficient. Elevated HCG not harmful. Go get a refund in full and find another doctor, preferably a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Elevated HCG

Elective surgery is not recommended during the first trimester. Since your HCG is still elevated, it is best to wait until it reaches a normal level. Elective breast augmentation is not an emergency surgery.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

well, if you were flying several thousand miles to see me, I would want clesrance from a physician whom I know and trust.  on another note. why are you going so far for a 45 min operation

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

HCG levels and surgery

Elevated HCG levels is not a contraindication for breast augmentation or any surgery in particular. The main issue is that anesthesia load during the first trimester can lead to birth defects and no surgeon or anesthesiologist wants to be liable for that. If you have a note assuring that you are not pregnant, I should think that would suffice. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  There are a number of reasons that surgeons would want to ensure you are not pregnant - most importantly injury to the fetus due to anesthesia.  If you recently elected to have a surgical abortion your HCG level should fall to normal very quickly and can be tested with a quick urine exam.  This ensures that you don't have any of the side effects with HCG including nausea and skin quality changes.  Hope this helps.