Breast augmentation post op prescriptions, are these all normal to be taking?

I had my BA 2 days a go and so far so good but been prescribed algocalmin, augmentin and ketorol to be taken 2 times a day and tramadol when the pain is bad (usually at night) 1 time a day, is this a normal cocktail of drugs after a breast augmentation as my antibiotics is a 5 day course just seems like a lot to me?

Postop Medications

Dear Rachelrachel92, Every plastic surgeon has his/her own preference of medications to prescribe after breast augmentation. Usually, it includes a painkiller, antibiotic, possibly an anti-muscle spasm drug. I see you live in the UK, and your list of medicines are a bit different than what would be used in my community. I personally do not care for Augmentin because it does not have very good activity against staph bacteria. Also, I do not know any American doctors who prescribe algocalmin as it is 100 years old and has some occasional bad side effects. Nevertheless, if you are doing well and your surgeon has been very comfortable with this regimen I see no reason to question it. I hope this has been helpful to you. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Surgical recovery

This does not seem to be more than normal, but you should be addressing these concerns with the surgeon.

Post Op Medication Prescription

An antibiotic and one or more pain medication are commonly prescribed after surgery. Often, narcotic pain medications will be prescribed on an "as-needed" basis and can be taken in minimal doses or only at night if you wish. I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about the specifics of your prescription and let them advise you about their protocol.
All the best

Are Post-Op Prescriptions "Normal" following Breast Augmentation

Yes, it is "normal" to take prescription medications following breast augmentation, or any other type of cosmetic surgery procedure for that matter. The types of medications, frequency, and duration that you are instructed to take them can vary from doctor to doctor, however, depending upon their personal preferences and experience with their patients. Prescriptions pre and post surgery can often be a confusing assortment of vitamins, antibiotics, anti-bruising supplements as well as pain medications to help you remain as comfortable as possible. Sometimes a person's personal medical history can affect what is prescribed by the doctor, and in the absense of that, they will follow routines they have created for each of their surgery procedures. I would ask your physician if you have questions and/or concerns about the amount of prescriptions you are taking.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Post Breast surgery medication

Thank you for your question.Happy everything is going well for you. Every surgeon has his/her own protocol for post op instructions.Contact your surgeon with any questions or concerns regarding your medications. Best wishes.

Seem reasonable

The list of medications are reasonable to alleviate pain and inflammation and to reduce the risk of post-operative infections.

R. McIntyre Bridges, MD
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgeons all have their own protocol on what helps their surgeries successful and their patients comfortable. Talk to your plastic surgeon and discuss each medication's purpose. This will help you understand his/her protocol.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question, however I would ask your PS specifically concerns about the medications he/she's prescribed. Every doctor has their own protocol following surgery and this includes post-op medication.

Kamran Azad, MD
Pasadena Physician

Thank you for your question. Every PS has their own way of treating their clients. It is probably working well for your physician. So please follow instructions from your PS and ask him/her about your medications.

Breast surgery prescriptions

Thank you for your question.  As previously mentioned every surgeon may have a different preference for pain and antibiotic management. In general the literature strongly supports only twenty-four hours of post operative antibiotics for this type of case and you will find it common to see many surgeons do up to forty-eight hours. You can discuss with your surgeon any unique features of your case that may have him or her more comfortable with a longer period of coverrage. Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD