Is it possible to go from a 36c to a 36ee/ff on the first implant surgery?

I'm 45 years old and i have had a hysterectomy. I have always wanted implants but wanted to wait till i was finished with having children. My left breast is a 36c and my right is a 36b.

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Possible Increase on the First Implant Procedure

It's important to know what size bra you currently wear. Is it a 32, 34, 36 bra, and, of course, the cup size. The strap size is important to know because that affects the diameter of the cup and subsequently the diameter of the breast implant that we choose. We also need to know your height, your weight, and it's helpful to know your dress size as well.

In addition, it would be very helpful if you include photos of yourself. A front view, a side view, and a three-quarter view are most helpful. This will let us see if there are any breast asymmetries, if the breasts are narrow, if the breasts are wide, what your chest wall looks like, and this will also help us make a decision as to the best size breast implant for you.

In my experience in general, if a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc.

This is a general number, and of course there are other factors that will affect this. For example, if she has a chest wall issue where the chest is slightly sunken, this is called a pectus deformity, then she would require a little bit more volume to first bring her chest to a level position and then move forward to the projection of a C cup. This may require implants of about 50cc more. It's important to examine the patient and have complete information to make this decision.

breast implant size

1.   32 a   to 32 c   needs about 250-275 cc

2.   34a    to 34c     needs about 300-350 cc

3.   36a    to 36 c     needs about 350-400 cc

4.   You will be a double dd or larger  with 400

Your doctor will work with you to choose the best implant #shape and #implantprofile based on your goals and measurements.  In my practice, about 15-20% of the patients are good candidates for silicone #shapedimplants.  The profile is determined by the amount of projection versus roundness that the patient desires, as well as the size of the implant and size of her chest. The profiles are usually described as high, moderate plus and moderate.

Size matters

Cup size is all relative to a patients body frame.  Smaller frames require less volume to achieve a cup size difference.  Its roughly 150cc per cup size and 800cc is the max size in the US.  There are different shape and profiles of implants including low, medium, moderate plus and high profile as well as Ultra High Profile implants available now.  This allows more options for shaping the breast with a greater degree of projection if desired by the patients.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Not able to predict bra size after implant surgery

Since every bra manufacturer has different sizes and styles, it is not possible to predict bra size after implant surgery.  It is more important to choose a result that is acceptable appearance wise for yourself, it doesn't really make any difference what the actual letters and numbers of the final bra size are, as long as you are happy with the result!

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Is it possible to go from a 36c to a 36ee?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Breast augmentation size

How large you can go will really depend on how much your skin will stretch. I like to use sizers during the surgery so I can see how much the skin will stretch out. 

David E. Kim, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Every patient has unique anatomic breast borders. For a natural result it is important to respect these borders. If you plan to exceed your natural borders significantly a physical examination would be critical to determine whether a single step procedure will give you the result you are after. Best Wishes 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Larger outcome possible with breast augmentation?

Thank you for the question. Every patient undergoing breast augmentation surgery should understand that their anatomic starting point will limit the outcome of breast augmentation surgery.    In other words, a patient's starting anatomy will limit how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely. The use of a larger breast implant(than what is safely "allowed" by the patient's anatomy) can be problematic;  potential problems include breast implant displacement/malpostion issues ( such as bottoming out, lateral displacement, symmastia...)  and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.

Ultimately,  careful selection of plastic surgeon, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “extra large” or "E or F cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to larger breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.