Can I fly soon after getting my breast augmentation?

Someone told me that my stitches would come out if I fly, is this true? How long after my surgery do I have to wait to fly?

Travel after breast augmentation

It should be safe to travel after your first post-operative visit with your surgeon.  In most circumstances it should be safe to travel about 2 days after simple breast augmentation.  Flying does not affect sutures.

Can I fly after breast augmentation?

The main concern with flying with any surgical procedure is the possibility of developing a pulmonary embolus or blood clot in your legs and causing lung problems. This does occur and if you do fly or drive in car for long period, get up and walk around or keep moving your legs! 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

How Long After Breast Augmentation Can I Fly?

Since our patients usually return to work in four days, for sedentary work, flying is not a problem. You can fly any time after surgery, but generally I would wait a day or two and not lift things overhead. I advise my patients to lift their hands overhead five times an hour after surgery, which helps stretch the pectoralis muscle and lessens stiffness. Flying itself has no effect on the implant or stitches. I have never seen stitches "come out" or the wound open up, and I allow aerobic activity at two weeks.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Flying after surgery

if you are talking about on a commercial airline, a week would ne plenty of time after your surgery.  Just don't do any heavy lifting and you'll be fine.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Flying after augmentation

can be tolerated as soon as you are able to ambulate on your own... but you've got to be very careful with your activities as it could lead to bleeding and complications.  My question is why fly somewhere to have this procedure where there are hundreds of equally qualified surgeons whom are in your local area?  Being close to your surgeon certainly makes follow-up much easier and some surgeons are pretty stubborn and reluctant to see another surgeon's patient in distress (which to me seems unethical) when their surgery was done elsewhere.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Flying after getting breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I have never heard of anyone having an issue with their stitches simply from flying.  Main thing is to avoid heavy lifting of luggage or doing anything really strenuous for the first two weeks from surgery.  We have many patients who come from out of town who fly home after 3-4 days from surgery.  If it is a long flight I recommend getting up and walking up and down the aisle every hour (and maybe wear compression stockings if over 5hrs) just to prevent a blood clot.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Flying after breast augmentation

I don't recommend that my patients do anything strenuous, carry baggage, etc the first two days after surgery.   By the third day, I allow my patients to do anything that does not hurt - and many fly home on that day.  I don't know of any problem with the incisions as a result of flying.

Juris Bunkis, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Flying in an airplane after a breast augmentation

Every surgeon has different ways of guiding their patients through the postoperative course that they have developed over years of practice.  Make sure to see what our individual surgeon's recommendations are for travel after this procedure.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Flying after breast augmentation

Hello and thanks for your questions.  I have never found flying to be an issue as far as stitches/sutures coming out as long as you are careful about not lifting baggage, etc.  Every surgeon is different with regard to their recommendations about travel/flying and timing after surgery.  For my patients I have no problem with them flying very soon after surgery 3-5 days as long as they stay hydrated, are up and mobile-walking around several times during the flight to help prevent blood clots, and avoid lifting anything heavy.  I hope these answers help.

Best wishes during your recovery.

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon