12 weeks post op, my incisions still seem red and I have an achy pain. Is this normal? (Photo)

I am 12 weeks post ba on wednesday. My incisions still seem red and i have an achy pain in the top part of my left. I'm worried that this isn't normal. They also seem really small from the front but big from the side as i have a big chest wall.

Pain at 12 Weeks Post-Op

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

Scarring

For you incision to completely fade to fine white line can take 9-12 months. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. At 12 weeks you are still early in your healing. It may be suitable to wait another 3 to 6 months to see if this issue resolves. If it does not resolve it would be best to see your plastic surgeon. It is unclear from this description what may be causing the achy pain. 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Painful scars

Your scars appear immature and will likely improve with time. I would suggest gentle scar massage and watchful waiting at 12 weeks out. Fortunately, there appears to be no evidence of infection or wound break down so there is no emergent intervention. Key is to follow closely with your plastic surgeon for a hands on examination and development of a scar management plan. 

Joseph Parks, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

12 weeks post op, my incisions still seem red and I have an achy pain. Is this normal?

Thank you for your question.  Red raised "itchy" scars can be hypertrophic scars which require treatment usually with a laser.  The pain you are feeling at the top of the breast could be capsular contracture.  I suggest that she see her plastic surgeon for an examination and person.