Is it normal to have bubbling noises within first week of submuscular silicone implants?

I got 360cc silicone implants beneath the muscle through the armpit approach. While massaging my breasts to help the implant drop I'm hearing bubbling noises that almost resemble a grumbling stomach. Is that the implant making the noise or air pockets in my chest & does it go away?

Bubbling

It is possible early post-op that you have air still trapped in the pocket.  This may contribute to the noise you sense. This often goes away with time.

Breast Implants

For a short period of time, trapped air can make sounds in the breast implant pocket.

This will go away with time.

Bubbling Noises Post Op

A small amount of fluid and air in the implant pocket is normal post op. This will typically be reabsorbed by the body within a couple of weeks.

All the  best!

Noises after breast augmentation

Great question.  Not uncommon to have gurgling noises in the first week after breast augmentation.  This is a result of some healing fluid being present in the implant pocket.  There is nothing to be concerned about if your breast are comparable in feeling.

Good luck with the rest of your breast healing.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Bubbling?

Yes! I do hear this common complaint from my patients as well. You're hearing air and fluid around the breast implant and this will resolve within a few more days. Congratulations and best wishes, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

What you are describing is quite commonly described after breast surgery (secondary to air and fluid around the breast implants). These sensations and sounds dissipate over the course of one to two weeks. However, any significant increase in swelling/size would be of concern.

Yes, this happens.  It will usually resolve within a few weeks.  Inform your surgeon and follow postoperative instructions and expect improvement over time.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Wirth Plastic Surgery

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

"Bubbling" noises after breast augmentation

The sounds you describe are quite normal immediately after surgery. There is air and a small amount of fluid in the pocket surrounding the implant. When the tissue or the implant is moved, you might hear some of these noises. This will resolve over time. Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Noise in Chest after Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. This is a common condition after breast augmentation. Air has been trapped in the pockets created for your implants. This will usually resolve soon after surgery but may last for a few weeks. This is not a harmful condition to you.  I hope this helps you and congratulations on your recent Breast Augmentation.  I hope you continue to have a smooth recovery. 

Kenneth A. Godwin, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Bubbling Noises After Surgery

Cosmetic Complications: You may not be fully satisfied with the appearance of your implants; implant size issues, prominent scarring, asymmetric or undesired appearance or placement of  #implants or hardening may interfere with patient satisfaction.  Asymmetry (unequal breast size or shape) may occur.  The implanted breast may  #sag or #droop (ptosis) over time, much like a natural breast.  Very rarely the implant may change position or break though the skin, particularly if you have very thin breast tissue covering the implant. (This is more common with saline implants). complications do occur even for the best of surgeons and cannot be completely prevented.  Make sure you are comfortable with the risks and complications of this procedure and that all your questions are answered by our staff.

ALWAYS CONTACT YOUR PLASTIC SURGEON IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT INFECTION, BLEEDING, SWELLING, FEVER, EXCESSIVE BRUISING, OR ANY NEW AND SUDDEN CHANGES IN THE FEELING OR LOOK OF YOUR BREASTS/IMPLANTS.

Additionally, it is best to visit your surgeon if you have any of the following:

·         Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·         Reduced sensation of #nipple

·         Deflation/rupture

·         Capsular contracture

·         Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·         Firmness, and distorted appearance

·         Interference with breast feeding

·         Mammogram interference

·         Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·         Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·         Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·         Hypertrophic scarring

·         Tissue loss

·         Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

In addition, it would still be best to visit your surgeon regarding this issue. It is hard to tell what it may be, and an in-person visit will be best to have your surgeon help evaluate the healing process and make sure that everything is progressing as it should.