Chin is too big and too high (Photo)

My implant sits high. It's not right on my jaw line and I feel a space along the implant and the jaw bone all the way around. I am aprox 2 weeks post op. I realize that there is some swelling, the more the swelling goes down, the more you can't see the ridge between bone and implant. How soon can a revision be done? Is it a complicated surgery to replace implant with smaller one and lower the pocket so it sits lower on my jaw bone.

You should discuss this issue with your surgeon. If there is such an obvious malposition or size discrepancy a consideration should be given to immediate replacement/revision. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin is too big and too high

Hi, best to go back and see your plastic surgeon for follow up if you are concerned. Upward migration, of the chin implant, is just one of several unwanted side effects of using an incision on the inside of the mouth for chin implant placement. With that approach, the mentalis muscle must be cut in order to gain access along the lower portion of the chin. Once cut, the muscle can't be completely re-attached allowing upward migration of the implant. Instead, I prefer using a small, curved incision under the chin that preserves the mental muscle attachment thus preventing the chin implant from moving upward.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.

Chin is too big and too high

Yes the implant of your chin much to large. Need removal than allow healing for 3 months before reinserting of smaller implant in my over the internet opinion.

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation