Want to have a medpor chin implant removed. What to expect? (Photos)

Hi, 10 yrs ago at the age of 20 I decided to do something about my week chin and jawline. Unfortunately, the medpor implant i ended up with is too broad for my face, it doesn't fit my features and looks masculine. I had it trimmed (carved) 6 yrs ago by another surgeon who fixated the implant with 2 screws but the improvement really is insignificant. So, at this point I wonder if i have to accept things as they are or if removal is possible? Would i have to fill the cavity?

Chin Implant Removal

If you are unhappy with your chin implant, removal is definitely possible. However, people who want to remove a medpor implant often opt to switch to a smaller silastic implant which can have a softer effect on the chin and jawline. 
Opinions stated here are only opinions. They are not based on a clinical exam, which is recommended.

Want to have a medpor chin implant removed. What to expect?

It should be possible to remove the chin implant.  In most cases the chin will return to its original size/shape.  Again, in most cases this can be done without the need of a closed suction drain; but if the cavity is large, then a small drain may need to be placed for a few days post op.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Possible removal of medpor chin implant

Since you are not happy with the appearance of your chin with your current medpor implant, I would consider removing it.  If it's removed, your chin should return to appear as it did before the implant.  There is no cavity that needs to be filled.  If you desired more augmentation later, a different style and size of implant could be placed.  I would recommend using a silastic implant if you were to replace it though.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of a Medpor chin implant

The Medpor chin implant can be removed, or a smaller Silastic chin implant can be inserted if the patient so desires. The pocket where the MedPor chin implant is currently in place will simply collapse and the skin will redrape over the chin. For many examples of Silastic chin implants, please see the link and the video below

Chin Implant Removal

If you are unhappy with the appearance, size and shape of your chin implant, then I would suggest you have it removed. This should not pose any serious problem for you. Ordinarily there would be no need to fill in the "cavity" space. You can then choose to leave it as is for a time or consider replacement with a smaller, softer silastic style implant later. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon