I have had a neck lift 5 years ago and my neck skin is already sagging again.

I have since been diagnosed with ehlers danlos

Neck Lifts Last About Five Years; Facelifts Last 10

It is not unusual to find noticeable sagging in the neck five years after a neck lift. Each patient responds differently. Longevity also depends on how vigilant they are about subsequent sun avoidance and protection. The sagging, therefore, may or may not be related to Ehlers Danos, and could be a manifestation of continued aging.

Facial Aging

A facelift / necklift is an excellent operation to lift the soft tissues of the face and neck, tighten the underlying muscle, and remove the excess saggy skin. Aging continues after surgery, however, so most patients will see some recurrence of skin laxity and tissue decent, as they get older - sooner or later.  The amount of correction and longevity of the result are dependent on many factors including the extent of the surgery, patient age, previous surgery in the area, sun exposure, smoking, and genetics. In your case, you have the added burden of having a connective tissue disorder that will accelerate the process of aging. A revision lift is usually possible, however, you will have to weight the pros and cons given you previous experience and you new diagnosis. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step. See the link below for more info.

Neck lift - Pinched neck lift- Lower face rejuvenation

According to age the neck lift which deals only with skin does not last more than few years.SMAS face lifting lasts little more but involves all the face. It is not exempt of complications.I developed a technique without undermining and skin excision which deals only to the lift of Platysma muscle disconnected from the SMAS.The Pinch Neck Lift is a  microsurgery, using a small incision behind the ear and very little damage to the tissues, so side effects are rare and the downtime very minimal.

The majority of ageing problems associated with the lower face and the upper neck area can be solved with the Pinch Neck Lift and lower face FAMI.

Roger Amar, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. I am glad to hear that your original neck lift worked for some time. Should you choose to move forward with neck surgery, you may be able to utilize your experience from your previous surgery to hopefully prolong this surgery and maintain an improved neck line for longer. Please post pictures so that we can let you know how to piggyback off the initial surgery. We perform the laser-assisted weekend necklift for phenomenal results, and are able to carve out one of the three advanced techniques utilized (liposculpture, neck lifting, and laser resurfacing) in revision surgeries. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Neck

How long a neck lift lasts can vary depending on your age, condition of your skin, life style habits, sun exposure now and in the past, and your genetics.  Once the procedure is done the clock starts ticking again and aging continues.But all is not lost!  You may be able to do something such as add volume to your face to improve the skin tightness of your neck (the neck skin can get lax from face volume loss and then "fall" over the jawline onto your neck and "puddle" there) and improve your aging and skin texture and tone in the process!  Check in with your surgeon and see what might be possible to continue to maintain your look.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon