Why have I always had sagging jowls? I am 23! How do I get rid of them? (photos)

My entire life I have dealt with sagging jowls. As a child and teenager, I was very skinny, and now (aged 23) I can be considered average in weight, so I know that my weight can't be the source. It may be important to add that as a child and up till the present day I barely drank any fluids throughout the day, especially water. I heard that lack of fluids over long periods of time can maybe cause the sagging jowls. Also, none of my parents and siblings seem to have this problem

Hello, thank you for your question. At your age I would recommend injectable fillers which would mask the area that bothers you. I do think your chin could be projected a little farther out which would also disguise your jowls. The other option would be a non-invasive device to lift and tighten the jawline such as Infini RF or Ulthera. Both will tighten and smooth the jawline.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. Your age and needs suggest that you would benefit from injectibles. It is a good sign that your parents do not have the sagging, although, you still ma be prone to the feature genetically. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for your injectibles. Make sure that you establish a good rapport in case you decide to go with a more permanent solution to your jowls through surgery when you are older.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Jowls

More significant than the contour of your jowls is the concavity in front of your jowls. Augmenting your pre-jowl depressions and possibly your chin with fillers or a permnent implant would improve the projection and definition of your jawline.

23 and jowls

Thanks for your question. Given your age, I bet that the shape of your lower face is due to the natural contour of the muscles and bone in this area rather than significant sagging. Regardless, there are a couple of solutions for you to consider. The first would be filler to contour your lower face to something more to your liking. A more aggressive solution would be to consider a chin implant that has extra volume in the areas on either side of your chin. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon