Is it normal to not be numbed at all before receiving PRP injections in the scalp?

I recently had PRP injections for a small bald area on my scalp. When it was time to inject the PRP into my scalp, I asked about the numbing. I had read on other websites that a numbing cream would be applied before injecting. He said they did not do numbing and that numbing would decrease the effectiveness of the shots. I am not afraid of needles or shots but I have to say that the shots were extremely painful. Is it normal to not be numbed at all?

Numbing before PRP injections

We use a small amount of lidocaine before the PRP and with this our patients feel absolutely no pain. It does not affect the result of the PRP treatment at all. If you have any concerns I would suggest asking your doctor why they do or do not use any form of anesthesia. 

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pain of #PRP injections

Dear Allie5000:We are now mixing a little lidocaine with the PRP in the syringe. This makes the procedure nearly painless, a huge improvement over the prior protocol. This has not interfered with the response to treatment in any way.  All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

PRP Injections and Numbing

Thank you for your question!  Different offices have different protocols for PRP injections.  We provide injections of local anesthetic prior to the PRP injections.  This makes for a much better experience for our patients.  As always, be sure to consult with your hair expert about your concerns.  Best of luck to you!

PRP treatment should be comfortable

Hi.  We routinely offer topical numbing cream and/or local anesthetic injections to patients and have not seen any interference with the hair growth.  There are other techniques that provide comfort that do not include a cream or injection, so before your next treatment, ask your plastic surgeon what else they can offer.  Being more comfortable, a more thorough treatment will be possible.

PRP for Hair Loss --- Combine with Injectable Progesterone Monthly

We do not numb the area, injections in the scalp are rarely painful at all if done with proper technique.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Topical Anesthetic prior to PRP? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, using a topical anesthetic prior to injecting with PRP is optional. Approximately 20 to 25% of our patients decide to  have a topical anesthetic. We like to use a Zimmer chiller prior to injection. Patients are usually comfortable with this technique. There is great variation in the amount of pain with PRP injection. The difference is based upon the level of injection and technique used. Find a PRP expert. GOOD LUCK.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon