Propecia versus PRP?

Which treatment is the better for early hair loss ... Propecia or PRP ? Money is not a factor to be taken in consideration. If I try Propecia for one year and dont get any results, would it be worth it to try PRP ?

Propecia vs. PRP

Both are an effective way for prevention of Hair Loss. Although, with Propecia there may be some side effects so often patients choose PRP treatments once every 8 months. It would be most effective to do both.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Treating early hair loss

You can do the following for early hair loss:  vitamins, PRP, topical rogaine, oral propecia, low-level light therapy and hair transplant.  Any combination of these options will be more effective then a single approach to treatment.Best of luck from NYC.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

PRP vs. Propecia

Great question - thanks for asking!
The most effective treatment to combat early hair loss would be a combination of both propecia and PRP therapy.  However, most young men don't tolerate the side effect profile of propecia, so be sure to speak with your physician about this.  PRP is a wonderful therapy for early hair loss.  I recommend scalp PRP injections in a series of three, spaced one month apart.
Best of luck to you!

What is the best option for hair loss treatment?

Both PRP and Propecia are good options. For propecia if you are young, be sure to get familiar with the side effects before using and use it under doctors supervision. If you are ok with Pepe is side effects, a combination of both PRP and propecia is a viable option for early hair loss. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Propecia and PRP

The best approach would be a combination of Propecia and PRP to grow back your hair.  Please consult an expert in hair loss.  Best, Dr. Green

Propecia or PRP? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, the combination of both Propecia and PRP gives the best results. Propecia is excellent for long-term maintenance. If you have early hair loss, you may get some regrowth. Some people are adverse to the side effect profile of Propecia. We have been seeing a synergistic effect when combining Propecia with PRP. I like to use the combination when there has been a significant amount of hair loss. PRP has the effect of increasing your growth speed, decreasing hair loss, increasing shaft diameter and regrowth of hairs that  have been dormant for a short period of time. If money is not an object, the combined approach may be very effective. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Propecia vs. PRP

Thanks for your question. I have never been a big fan of oral Propecia, primarily due to the risk of sexual side effects. In 2012, the FDA published results from an investigation into the adverse effects of finasteride (Propecia). Using data collected from 1998 to 2011, this study identified persistent sexual dysfunction of at least three months in 14 percent of the 421 evaluated cases. While the agency stated that a clear causal link between finasteride and sexual side effects had not been established, warnings of these complications were added to the drug’s prescribing information.
PRP on the other hand is extremely safe. Some centers in the United States are combining autologous stem cell injection (stem cells harvested from a your abdominal fat) along with the PRP which though more expensive makes it possible to have the injection done once every 1-2 yrs (with PRP alone you usually do a series of 3 sessions, then one session every 6 to 8 months). Regeneris Medical in the US is doing PRP + Stem Cells for hair loss. I am not sure if anyone in Canada is doing the same.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician