I had a prp therapy for my hair and today my forehead is swollen is it something to worry about?

I had a prp therapy for my hair yesterday and tonight I can see that my forehead is swollen no signs for infection though, but felt so sleepy today I slept most of the day I'm not sure if the prp is the reason because I didn't sleep well this week. Tomorrow is Sunday so is it something that I should go to the ER for? Thank you!

PRP and swollen forehead? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, your forehead is swollen because of trauma to the scalp. This sometimes occurs due to an aggressive PRP treatment or one which uses extensive  multiple punctures or micro-needling. It should resolve within a few days.If not, return to your doctor. Sleep on a couple pillows,keep  head elevated and don't eat any salty food. Avoid drinking alcohol. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after PRP

Swelling after a PRP treatment is completely normal. If you see swelling after 3 days then I would recommend you call the Doctor that performed the PRP treatment on you. It is most often that patients experience a little swelling after the treatment though.

John Kahen, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for posting your question. Post PRP procedure on the scalp, it is common for patients to have a bit of swelling on the site or surrounding areas. It should last for about 48 hours and should get better. This is common especially when micro needling is performed. It is normal part of the recovery process. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Spironolactone/Finesteride

A little swelling on the forehead is common after PRP injections to the scalp. The swelling should dissipate in about 48 hours. If you have concerns, please consult with your injector. Best, Dr. Emer

PRP and Swelling in the Forehead

Thanks for your question!  
It is not uncommon to see forehead swelling after PRP injections, especially if they were performed at the frontal hairline and local numbing medication was used prior to the PRP.  This swelling improves in 48-72hrs.  In the meantime, you can sleep with your head elevated.  As always, be sure to contact your physician with any questions or concerns.  Best of luck to you!

PRP treatment and swelling

2 possible reasons why you have swelling in order of most to least likely.  Also an important piece of the infomration ommitted is how much PRP you had injected.  

As PRP is an atraumatic noninvasive proceure, we would not expect any traumatic swelling for you.

Howver if for example a ring anesthesia block was performed, that will be about 40ml of solution that needs to traveerse your scalp.  For every half of scalp, 13 ml of prp is required so you could have had upto 90 ml of fluid inected into your scalp

This fluid will need to come down anteriorly thorugh the face and posteriorly as you have very little lymphatic drainage in the scalp itself.

Hence you had a bit of swelling, likely because you were not sleeping upright for the first 3 days after the PRP injection.  No issues, will not impact efficacy of your treatment. 

Sleep upright for a day or so, your swelling will resolve,  Make sure to apply no ice to your scalp and swollen regions as this will delay activation of the platelets injected.  

Second possibility you may be swollen is allergy but in that case you should expect lips also to be swollen and perhpas rashes over the body.  Unlikely. 

Good luck and you should begin seeing results from your PRP treatment in 5 months.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician