I had Acell/PRP scalp treatment and my forehead is swollen. The fluid has travelled and caused bruising. Is it normal?

I had ACell/PRP on my frontal hairline on Friday & immediately had forehead swelling after the treatment. I've had the fluids in my face travel from my forehead to the sides of my face, down the top bridge of my nose & under my eyes. The fluids on the sides of my eye orbitals have caused the corners of my eyes & under eyes to bruise up. I spoke to my MD today. She assured me this was normal but from what I've read about this treatment, this doesn't appear normal. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Swelling after PRP

Swelling after PRP may last up to 4 days. This is very typical especially if the PRP was placed closer to the hairline. When you go to bed, try to sleep at a 45 degree angle. If there is swelling over a week I would contact your doctor again.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Swelling of the forehead seems to be more common with  Acell as well as micro-needling prior to injection of PRP. It is uncommon with injections of PRP with the depo injection technique.  Keep your head elevated and avoid salty foods. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Spironolactone/Finesteride

A little swelling on the forehead is common after PRP injections to the scalp and should dissipate in about 48 hours. Because you have swelling that has descended below your eyes and to your nose, please consult with your injector. Best, Dr. Emer