Does a low carb diet effect surgery or recovery in any way? Thanks.

Low carb diet and surgery

Thanks for your question.  I would say that a low carb diet is okay as long as the rest of your diet is well balanced.  In other words, have a good amount protein, fat, etc.  So, I do not think it will impact your recovery.  I hope this helps. 

Can a low carb diet affect recovery after surgery?

Thank you for your question. A low carb diet should not affect your recovery as long as your eating healthy, good amount of vegetables, lean protein and good fats. You may experience less energy if your carb consumption is to low but the healing process should be ok. Best of luck!

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question. In general a low carb diet is rich in vegetables and proteins from meat and chicken. So this can be a healthy diet after your procedure. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Thank you for your excellent question.  Typically people consume more carbohydrates than needed from a physiologic and healing point of view, so a low carb diet should not affect your ability to recover or heal after surgery.  This is especially true as most low carb diets stress the importance of continuing to eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains as opposed to simple sugars such as sweets, bread and other simple sugars. Hope this helps.

Diet and recovery from surgery

Most likely, no. The body needs protein, oxygen, and normal vitamins to effectively promote the healing process. It is not healthy to try and starve yourself to try and lose a few extra pounds before surgery, but a healthy diet (low carb or high carb) should keep you safe. I do not believe in the supplementation theory that many surgeons suggest before and after surgery to optimize healing. With that said, it is always best to check with your surgeon to see what his/her preference is for your particular case.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon