What should I do with my stitch abscess? (Photos)

I haf a TT 5 weeks ago and i developed a stitch absses according my surgeon. He said that i should put gauze and let it bc the stitch came out while i was showering. I saw it myself. I always put tripe antibiotic and cover it. It have been 3 wks already and is slowly getting better. I think i should not cover it anymore so it can dry and form a scab. I think that way it will heal faster. I am not sure. Everytime i took the gauze off it stick to my skin and started to bleed a little.

Stitch abcess treatment

After the stitch has come out, It is helpful to protect the area while it is healing.  I have patients wash with a gentle soap such as Dove or Cetaphil and then apply Aquaphor (available over the counter in the moisturizer section of your pharmacy) and a clean gauze pad until it is healed.  You can use a nonstick pad if you choose or soak the gauze off in the shower.

Stitch abscess

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. Follow your surgeon's advice on this. Moist wounds - ie antibiotic ointment helps to heal faster. Leaving the wound uncovered should be ok but it can cause staining of your clothes and bedding etc. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

What should I do with my stitch abscess?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your surgery!  I would recommend keeping the area covered with an ointment such as Aquaphor and clean gauze until your body fills in the remaining hole from the inside-out.  At times the body can produce early scar tissue that may prevent complete closure and your surgeon may need assist this healing with a small office based procedure.  Maintain close follow up with your doctor but i would anticipate this to close over the next week.  Best wishes.