Can I get a rhinoplasty even if my nose bleeds a lot? Also breathing issues

Since childhood my nose would bleed regularly (usually once or twice every month). I went to the ENT and he said that there are a lot of blood vessels inside my nose. Can I get a nose job? And side question my nose is already massive but I still have problems breathing can doctors make it smaller and improve breathing?

Probably. It may even help

A deviated septum and drying of the nose can cause bleeding, and sometimes a rhinoplasty with repair of the deviated septum can sometimes actually improve the problem.  That being said, I have had several patients with a history of bleeding that we worked up with a hematologist prior to surgery, and found unusual bleeding problems that only appeared intermittently (intermittent von willebrand's can especially manifest this way, but there are others).  The only sign may be a nose bleed.  Different medications can also cause this.  These disorders may not appear on a routine hematologic workup.  So, it might be worthwhile to get a good workup by a hematologist prior to surgery.  

Hi there! Rhinoplasty can definitely be performed, even if you tend to have nosebleeds. Nosebleeds should not be a problem, unless it is a disorder. I suggest an in-person consultation with a board-certified surgeon who can examine you in person and your health history. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Nose bleeds and rhinoplasty

Having a history of nose bleeds is not a contraindication for having rhinoplasty surgery. Many individuals have nose bleeds for various reasons, including vessels in the anterior aspect of the septum, which is worsened by digital manipulation and/or dry weather. That being said, a rhinoplasty can be performed to deal with both functional issues (nasal breathing), as well as aesthetic issues. You need to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon who performs rhinoplasties on a usual basis. They would be able to best evaluate your nose, your breathing and what can be done from an aesthetic standpoint. Good Luck to you!  

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Without a better understanding of your medical history a true evaluation cannot be made.The best advice is to schedule a consultation with  a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated further.  During your consultation you will be able to discuss your concerns, address your goals and work together to build a surgical plan to help you achieve the overall look you desire.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Nosebleeds and rhinoplasty

As long as the nosebleeds are not an indicator of some underlying clotting disorder, there is no reason why one couldn't have a rhinoplasty. In the vast majority of cases patients with nosebleeds have no fundamental bleeding problem just some fragile blood vessels, typically at an area known as Kiesselbach's plexus. This is a simple area to treat with cauterization either in the office or at the time of nasal surgery.

As for improving breathing while simultaneously reducing the size of a large nose, yes, these can commonly be achieved. Keep in mind that patients with naturally small noses can still breathe adequately. Form AND function can both be addressed with nasal surgery.

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nosebleeds, breathing issues, cosmetic rhinoplasty

Nosebleeds are usually treated in the clinic by cauterizing the blood vessels that are bleeding. Nasal obstruction can  be caused by a variety of issues on the inside of the nose, so a full examination of the internal portion of the nose is required to make a determination about what the causative issue is. If you have failed medical management first, consider surgical improvement of the nasal airway passageways. A cosmetic rhinoplasty is performed to change the shape of the nose and make it smaller including the tip, bridge and shaving down a dorsal hump. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Hello and thank you for your question. Nasal bleeds are not a contraindication for rhinoplasty.  You would need a complete intranasal examination prior to surgery to be safe.  Your nose can be made smaller and at the same time have your breathing improved if the right techniques are employed.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Nosebleeds and rhinoplasty

You certainly can still get a rhinoplasty, and if you go to the right doctor it may help your nosebleeds.  Nosebleeds are often from turbulent air flowing through the nose.  If part of the nose is blocked, air doesn't flow well and this swirling air make dry the nose and make it bleed.  

You can make some parts of the nose smaller and still improve breathing.  It depends what part of the nose is causing the blockage. 

My best advice is to go to a facial plastic surgeon, which is someone who did ear nose and throat training and then did plastic surgery training.  We are usually very good at balancing cosmetic with functional, breathable noses. 

Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and bleeding issues

It is possible to have a rhinoplasty if you had childhood nosebleeds. Prior to rhinoplasty, I run several pre-operative tests including test that make sure your blood's ability to clot is normal to minimize risk of post-operative bleeding and complications.Depending on your anatomy, it is also possible to make your nose both smaller and improve breathing. Often times, a nose appears large due to a wide tip, large dorsal hump, or wide base at the nasal bones these can usually be adjusted without compromising your airway. If necessary, adequate airflow can be maintained or improved by additional cartilage spreader grafts or a septoplasty to open up the airway and help you breathe. It is important to have an in-office examination to determine what exactly needs to be done to have a smaller nose while optimizing your breathing. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Rhinoplasty with Intranasal Issues

It seems like it would be best if you saw a facial plastic surgeon who also has a background in ENT/head and neck surgery.  This way the rhinoplasty could be performed and any intranasal issues (such as blood vessels or other underlying causes, breathing problems) can be addressed at the same time.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD