Is it safe to use Breathe Right Nasal Strips years after Rhinoplasty?

I had the surgery over 15 years ago, and I remember my doctor saying something about nasal strips, but I can't remember if he said never to use them or to wait a while.

BreatheRite strips

This is a great question!  First, yes you can use breathe rite strips 15 years after rhinoplasty.  You can probably use them 6 months after rhinoplasty depending on what was done.  Secondly, if your rhinoplasty was performed 15 years ago, chances are certain things may have been done that today manifest themselves as slightly compromised nasal breathing.  Today, surgeons have improved techniques to not compromise nasal breathing near as often while trying to improve cosmetic appearance.  I perform many surgeries on patients who have had rhinoplasty in the past and cannot breathe years later.  It is certainly something worth considering for you depending on how bad the nasal obstruction bothers you.

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Using breathe right strips after rhinoplasty

breathe right strips can be very helpful for opening the nasal passages.  There should be no problem using them following rhinoplasty once the initial healing has occurred. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathe right strips

It is safe to use Breathe Right strips one year after surgery on the nose.  However if you need to use those strips it indicates Nasal obstruction and you should get evaluated by an otolaryngologist to find out the reason.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathe Right Strips and Rhinoplasty

At this point, 15 years after your surgery, it is fine to use breathe right strips to help with any nasal obstruction.  However, if you are having nasal obstruction then you might have developed an external valve collapse, which is what the breathe right strips are designed to temporarily fix.  I would consult with a local facial plastic surgeon to see if other treatment options are possible.

Good luck!

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

In most cases, nasal strips can be used one year after surgery without any problems. If in doubt, check with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Strips after rhinoplasty

15 years out, you are fine.  Usually I restrict wearing any kind of adhesive strip or bandage for the first 2 months post rhinoplasty.  However at this point you should be ok! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible Nasal Valve Collapse

Yes, its definitely safe to use breathe rite strips after rhinoplasty.  The strips main action is to elevate and widen the nasal valve.  Its likely you have some aspect of nasal valve collapse causing you to need to use breathe rite strips.  Nasal valve collapse is common after rhinoplasty and can sometimes be easily fixed in the office to improve breathing.  A new implant made by Spirox called The LATERA Absorbable Nasal Implant can be used to support the upper and lower lateral cartilage in the nose to function as a permanent breath rite strip.  This can be performed in office with a 10 minute procedure with minimal downtime and can dramatically improve nasal breathing.

Bounmany Kyle Keojampa, MD, FACS
Marina Del Rey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathe Right Nasal Strips, Nasal Valve Collapse?

Thanks for your post. Yes, it should be fine to use Breathe Right Nasal Strips at this point, which can improve airflow in the nasal valve region. We often restrict patients from Biore and Breathe Right Strips for up to 6 months from original surgery. If you truly feel improvement while wearing these strips, you may actually have some nasal valve support issues. Nasal valve collapse may be related to prior rhinoplasty surgery or other congenital issues. Correction via repair vestibular stenosis with cartilage grafts may be a more permanent solution than Breathe Right Strips. However, some athletes like to wear them for improved performance as needed. In these cases, consult with your surgeon see if correction to your valves makes any sense to you. Best Wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Since you are 15 years post op, it is safe to use breathe right strips.  At this point in your life, the strips will not harm your nose.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Nasal strips years after Rhinoplasty

It should absolutely be safe to use these nasal strips 15 years after your Rhinoplasty.  You may be experiencing nasal valve collapse that can be surgically corrected to solve the problem.  I recommend a consultation with an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon for examination.

Wish you the best!!

Babar Sultan, MD
Towson Facial Plastic Surgeon