How long should I wait until I can skydive after an open Rhinoplasty?

Hi! I had my open rhinoplasty almost 1 year ago, 43 weeks to be precise. My nose has still some swelling left by my question is, is it safe for me to skydive from an airplane? Thanks for answers!

Awesome question. I would say 6 weeks but you should ask your surgeon on this one. Everyone will offer you a different point of view. 

Recovering from rhinoplasty: returning to normal and extreme activities

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is avoiding activities that have potential to bump your nose. After 6 weeks all normal activity may be restarted.

For more extreme activity, each patient and activity is different. In my area, surfing is popular. It's ultimately up to the surgeon to determine how well you are healing and whether your nose can withstand normal force and stress. It's up to the patient to determine whether the risk is worth it. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

​Different patients have different conditions, but in general cases, after 2~3 months of recovery you can safely skydive

Different patients have different conditions, but in general cases, after 2~3 months of recovery you can safely skydive. If you had open rhinoplasty almost 1 year ago, there is no problem to do skydive.

But If you still want to make sure, you should talk to your surgeon to make sure agian.

Good luck and enjoy the skydive!

Jin-Sung Kim, MD
South Korea Plastic Surgeon