Can my nose look more slimmer and straight with my tip slightly narrowed?

I have a Septum Deviation, I mainly want to get my deviated septum corrected but if I could achieve a slightly better nose, it would be great. I'm always uncomfortable posing for pictures because of my nose & lip. When I do click pictures, it's mostly on my right profile as I feel it is my better side. I want a straighter looking nose, slightly slimmed down. As for the tip, can something be done to it to correct both the tip and my protruding lip to achieve something closer to the example below?

Can I Straighten My Deviated Septum and Narrow My Nose Including the Tip

A septorhinoplasty can be done to straighten your septum and narrow and define your nose including the tip. Consult with a rhinoplasty specialist so you achieve a natural result. I need to see a better picture of your upper lip with a frontal and profile view to address that concern.

The internal and external nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Can my nose look more slimmer and straight.

Rhinoplasty can do so many things to enhance nasal shape, and we find the best way to demonstrate the potential is with computer simulation to help you see for your self what slimmer and straight can mean.

Thank you for your question and photos. In terms of the nose, I think a rhinoplasty can help straighten your septum to improve breathing and curvature in your nose. Also, tip refinement for improved definition, slightly upturn your nose, and remove the tiny bump on your bridge will give your nose nice balance. I would consider narrowing your nostrils if it's wide after above maneuvers are done. One noteworthy item, Curved noses are curved partially due to the septum or bones which can be corrected. However, sometimes facial asymmetry can contribute to where the nose sits on the face and there can be inherent lean to the nose that cannot be eliminated. All this can be determined during your consult. 

Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Every rhinoplasty is both a functional operation as well as a cosmetic undertaking, and yours will be no different. You certainly seem to be realistic, and appreciate the limitation that no surgeon can give you the exact nasal appearance of another patient. I do believe that a septoplasty will correct your breathing and straighten the bridge of your nose. The profile and tip appearance can be significantly enhanced with a rhinoplasty, and I would encourage you to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon to have an in-person consultation. I have found 3-D imaging to be a very useful tool to convey what changes can be performed during surgery to your nasal appearance. The consultation will be very useful to determine what, if anything, can be done to address the concerns with your lip. Good luck!

Robert Galiano, MD

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from spreader grafts to help straighten your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question and photographs. 

From what you have described and the photographs you have posted, it seems as though you would be a good candidate for a septorhinoplasty. The septoplasty could correct your deviated septum and the rhinoplasty will correct the appearance of your nose. I think you could benefit from thinning the bridge of the nose and a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the tip of your nose to make it look more pleasing and add more definition. I would definitely recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a physical nasal examination performed. Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your questions.  If you don't like the outside appearance of your nose the first place to start is to consult with an experienced Board Certified rhinoplasty surgeon who can explore the possibilities with you.  Have him/her evaluate you in person and discuss your options.  Best of luck.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal work can easy be done at the time of a rhinoplasty. Your tip can be improved with a rhinoplasty. Certain relationships can be altered between the nose and lip during a rhinoplasty but there are limitations.

Deviated septum and rhinoplasty

A deviated septum can lead to nasal obstruction and is a functional problem. Most rhinoplasty has a reduction component to the procedure and therefore a none corrected septal deviation   Can cause more nasal symptoms. I always correct this condition when I perform reduction rhinoplasty.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon