Should I get my built in metal retainer removed before rhinoplasty?

I have a built in metal retainer on my bottom teeth. I have rhinoplasty in two weeks and was told that metal interacts with the cauterizing machine. Should I have my retainer removed?

Permanent retainer and Rhinoplasty

Dear Sarah15808, In my practice I do not use a cautery for rhinoplasty surgery so there would be no need to remove the retainer even for anesthesia purposes since it is in a fixed position. Check with your surgeon and his/her policies. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Metal retainer and cautery

I'd have it out IF the surgeon and anesthesiologist feel it's necessary.

For the surgeon I can interact with the electrocautery and for anesthesia it can be an airway foreign body issue.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing a metal retainer before a rhinoplasty

A retainer can be removed if it is loose, since the anesthesiologist does not want it flopping around the mouth when placing the breathing tube in for the anesthetic.  In our practice, cautery is not required for a rhinoplasty procedure, so as long as the retainer solidly in place, it is best to leave it alone.  It is always best to check with your operative surgeon.