Can my forehead bone bump can be removed? (Photo)

I have a bump on my forehead and after checking it with a doctor, it is a bone. Its located above my right eyebrow. I would like to know if this can be removed, and if it can be removed without shaving my hair or having a visible scar. Pictures attached. Thank you!

Forehead Bumps

Thank you for your questions and photos.  You are probably familiar with the traditional ways that people remove these benign tumors.  I prefer to remove these via an endoscopic approach.  This involves no hair shaving and generally no hair loss.  Two 1/2 incisions are made well behind the hair line and this leaves no visible scars over the forehead or at the hair line.  Additionally, because the scars are short and oriented front to back, there is usually no injury to the sensory nerves resulting in numbness.  There are several examples and videos of the procedure on my website if this sounds appealing to you.  All the best!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

An overgrowth of bone can be removed but you need to interview several doctors and understand the risks.

An overgrowth of bone can be removed but you need to interview several doctors and understand the risks.  You must also accept no matter what you read, you will have a scar associated with the surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Treatment of forehead bump.

It sounds like you have already had x-rays showing that this is excess bone. I have removed many of these and it requires a 1 inch insulation done at the hairline and closed so the hair grows through the line and not behind it. This is better than making the incision with in the hair. 

Removal of Forehead Bone Bump

Bone causing a bump on the forehead, frequently secondary to previous trauma, can be removed through an incision hidden at the hairline or within the scalp.One X-ray, if not already done, will be necessary to make sure that the bone is thick enough to file down. This is a precaution - I've never seen a bone took thin for this treatment. 

Can my forehead bone bump can be removed?

Yes, this can be removed. Bumps in this area are often either fatty tissue (lipoma), bone (osteoma) or tangles of blood vessels. Regardless, they can be removed. An osteoma can be removed with a small incision at the hairline. A lipoma or vascular lesion would be removed with a small incision over the bump itself. These incisions tend to heal very nicely if created and repaired carefully. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can this bump be removed?

Yes, this can be done by an expert like Dr. Kabaker who answered the questions very well just prior to my picking up the question.  He is the type of expert that you should see.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

" Scarless" removal o forehead money bump

This is likely an osteoma which can be removed through an incision above the hairline. The incision has to be long enough to allow the surgeon to pull the scalp down and shave off the bone growth. The scar will not show unless you were to shave your head. A simpler approach through an incision in a horizontal wrinkle line could eventually yield an undetectable scar. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon