Had Fat Grafting go wrong so tried to deflate it will Hyaluronic Acid now it looks even worse. What should I do? (photos)

I have fat grafting under my eyes on July 20th. I'm 4months post op. After one month one of my eyes went down and looked regular however the other eye left a bag. After a few months I had 3 series of steroid injections to deflate it however still left with a bag. They took a diff approach and injected it with a hydraulic acid filler and OMG my eye looks worse. 1 day post op from the filler and It's even more puffy and I'm so sad because I'm only 21. This is horrible what should I do?

Post Fat Injection-Seek Consultation from specialist

For complications related to this particular procedure, I would suggest an in person consultation with a hyperaesthetic and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to advise you with the best treatment option to provide the best results.

Best Regards,

Randal Haworth, MD

Post fat injection lower lids

The lower lids are a tough place for fat injections.  They can work out great, but every once in a while you can get a nodule.  Steroid injections may help.  It sounds like they wanted to smooth out the area with HA so you wouldn't see the fat nodule.  This may work.  You are quite swollen at one day post injection.  You need to let the swelling resolve to see how it will look.  If not what you hoped for, will need to go in surgically and take out the fat.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Injection of fat or filler around the eye can be very tricky

Injection of fat around the eyelid area is very tricky and has to be done with extreme care and by someone who is very good and experienced with fat injection.  It is often done along the tear trough area.  The fat has to be placed deep adjacent to the bone.  The same is true for injection of fillers in this area.   I prefer to use hyauronic acid products as this can be easily removed if the desired effect is not achieved using Hyauronidase.  Often the result should be under corrected as products such as Juvederm is highly hydrophilic and swells a bit after inject. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Fat lump in eyelid after fat injection?

I have used fat grafting for over 35 years. I injected in lips and hands and find it very good in those two locations. I do not eject it into the  Area around the Eye because often it leaves a lump such as what you have. In my experience these require surgery to remove and cannot be  dissolved with steroids which often make it worse. See a very experienced surgeon for fat removal. 

Fat Transfer Facts--Add PRP/Sculptra for best results -- hyaluronidase reverses HA fillers

Injections of any kind can cause swelling. This should resolve in 1-2 weeks. I recommend sculptra and prp injections to maintain results of the fat grafting.  Hyaluronidase can be used to reverse the HA filler.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Lower blepharoplasty after having fat injection, etc

For a complicated issue like this, you need in person examination with experienced oculoplastic surgeon. See following link and video too. You might benefit from lower blepharoplasty.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon