Do eye exercises help ptosis even by just a little?

I really do not want surgery. ive read too many botched procedures on this site and its definately a no go for me. I also read that ptosis exercises do not fix droopy eyes. however i am wondering if the exercises even help a little bit. I would be happy if it just barely works. any less eyelid droopiness will do for me.

Ptosis Repair

In my experience, exercises do not help to improve ptosis.  I have not seen ptosis improve from patients doing exercises.  The best and most predictable treatment is surgical repair.  It is important to choose a surgeon who is specifically trained in ptosis surgery and also has a lot of experience doing the surgery.  Good Luck.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Exercises Cannot Correct Ptosis - Apologies

You did not include a photo, but Ptosis, if present, is caused by an eyelid muscle weakness that cannot be corrected by exercises. I am sorry your previous procedures did not meet your expectations.  The only proper treatment is a surgical correction in the hands of an experienced surgeon who regularly performs Ptosis repair.  Ptosis surgery is very, very challenging and few surgeons are specialists in this delicate and precise surgery.  Best wishes in your search!

Damon B. Chandler, MD
Moorestown Oculoplastic Surgeon

Exercise probably won't work

Usually, true ptosis must be corrected with a surgical procedure. However, there is a simple way for you to tell if exercises might work for you. Take a good picture first, then try some exercises and do them regularly for several months.Then take another picture. If there is no improvement, you've proven to yourself that exercise doesn't work. Then if the ptosis still bugs you, look for an experienced oculoplastic surgeon.

Richard Weiss, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

No exercise for eyelid ptosis

Eyelid ptosis happens because the muscle that lifts the upper eyelid gets stretched/loose from constant work!  The muscle lifts the eyelid 20,000 per day! So further exercising not only doesn't help, it can make it worse. The only effective treatment is eyelid ptosis surgery, which can be done under local anesthesia.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

No and it actually might make it worse.

As stated by others, most commonly ptosis of the upper eyelid is caused by a disinsertion of the tendon that is used to lift the eyelid.  Surgery repairs this disinsertion.  "Exercising" the eyelid or manipulating stresses the tissue insertion of the levator and foreseeably will make the problem worse.  Ptosis is corrected with surgery.

Exercises for eyelid droopiness

It really depends on what the reasoning is for your ptosis. The most common reason for ptosis is a stretching or loosening of the levator aponeurosis, which is a fibrous ligament (sort of) which connects the levator muscle to your tarsal plate. Because this isn't actually a weak muscle, no matter how much you strengthen the muscle, this ligament isn't going to work any better. The ligament would have to be shortened or reattached surgically. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Excercise for ptosis

Exercise to strengthen the levator muscle or diminish the amount of eyelid fat or skin is not effective. There are many qualified oculoplastic surgeons in the greater LA area that have performed thousands of successful eyelid surgeries. I suggest a consultation to learn about your options. Hope this is helpful.Vikram D. Durairaj, MD FACSAustin, Tx

Vikram Durairaj, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon