My nose bone is in S shape so I always suffer through cold and not able to breath properly? (Photos)

my nose bone is in S shape little slide from left and more from right side. so i always asuffer through cold and not able to breath poperly. please suggest me wheather i go for opearte or not ? i ll send u my endoscopy and xray photos . give revert at the earliest.thanks

Deviated Nasal Septum

Dear navjot-singh, Your reports included above give a diagnosis of deviation of the nasal septum on both the right and left passages which will effect your airflow. When performing septoplasty to repair the deviated nasal septum turbinate surgery is often performed to help address concerns regarding the airflow and moisture to the nose. If you have tried moisture sprays, and humidifiers and these are not effective then surgery is typically the best option. Best regards, 

You will a septoplasty - "My nose bone is in S shape so I always suffer through cold and not able to breath properly?"

Hello navjot singh123 - Thanks for your question. Your endoscopy report confirms a deviated nasal septum (DNS).  This is a fixed airway deformity that alters the normal laminar (straight) airflow in each nostril. It's presence leads to alterations in the size of the inferior turbinates, structures that help warm/clean/moisturize the air we breathe. This combination of problems leads to the symptoms you speak of that worsen when you catch a cold.  If medical management with medical nasal sprays and use of a humidifier do not help, then surgery is the most appropriate option.  Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Functional nasal surgery for breathing improvement

There are many issues inside the nose that can cause breathing issues such as a deviated nasal septum, turbinate hypertrophy, valve collapse, vestibular stenosis, allergies, and chronic sinusitis.    Each one of these issues are treated differently with medications or surgery.    A cosmetic rhinoplasty is performed to improve  the look of the nose and must be paid for by the patient.   Endoscopic sinus surgery is performed when patients have polyps inside the sinuses.  For more information about the differences between nasal surgery procedures and many diagrams including before and after  rhinoplasty results, please see the link and the video below 

Septoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. You may be a candidate for a septoplasty and spreader grafts improve your breathing and straighten your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD